Position Summary |
ODOT13-0246oc - Salem
This is a Limited Duration appointment that is expected to end on or before 03/01/2016. Limited Duration appointments are regular status, benefits eligible, with a designated maximum length of service.
The Senior Systems/Data Analyst is part of the Transportation Applications Development Section (TAD) of ODOT's Information Systems Branch (ISB) located in Salem. This section is responsible for the governance, planning, design, construction and, maintenance and operations of Information Technology solutions for their customers. The section serves ODOT's Central Services, Highway, Transportation Development, Transportation Safety, Public Transit, Rail, and Communications Divisions, and the ODOT Director's Office. This represents approximately 3000 IT users in a very complex, distributed business environment that crosses multiple business lines.
This position is the advanced professional level of the Information Systems Specialist series. The Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) unit is responsible for public facing systems like TripCheck.com and the 511 Travel Conditions telephone number. In addition, ITS is responsible for many internal mission critical ODOT systems that interact with roadside devices such as video cameras, digital freeway signs, ramp meters, and more. ODOT operations staff use these systems to communicate weather, incident and other event information with both the public and regional emergency responders.
The primary purpose of the position is to be responsible for analyzing business requirements for system development at the senior level for large systems that are complex and could span multiple divisions. Position also provides assistance to customers at the senior level to resolve problems and issues.
This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU/OPEU).
Duties are performed primarily in an office environment with extensive use of a computer terminal. Work requires managing projects with conflicting requirements and short timelines. Business needs require willingness to work irregular hours (weekends, holidays and nights) and to travel for job related purposes.
The employee must have and maintain a valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record or able to provide an acceptable alternate method of transportation.
Instructions - Minimum Qualifications
Your application materials must include:
Responses to the supplemental questions included with the announcement.
Only complete applications will be considered. Be sure to answer all supplemental questions and attach all required documents. Qualified applicants whose responses most closely match the needs of this position will be invited to interview.
Minimum Qualifications :
Five years of professional consultative, technical, or administrative experience providing expert advice and leadership in planning, development, coordination, and implementation of information systems. Experience must include activities in:
• Software : Software means the programs, procedures, rules, and associated documentation concerned with operating a system and covers both applications and operating software.
• Data : Data means data bases and associated master files;
(a) at least 30 quarter (20 semester) credits in computer science;
(b) two more years of experience providing a knowledge of information systems theory and principles.
Examples of experience providing a knowledge of information systems theory and principles are : Providing technical consultation and advice to managers, technical and professional IS staff, and system users in planning, analyzing, developing, and implementing the operation, maintenance, installation, modification, and construction of information systems; OR Working with vendors and contracted personnel to assess new technology, provide oversight, exchange information, and solve problems.
15 quarter (10 semester) graduate-level computer science, software engineering, information systems, or equivalent credits may substitute for one year of the professional experience.
Criminal Background and additional pre-employment check(s) as required for the position will be conducted on final candidates (could include Driver License, LEDS, and/or Education Verification).
Veteran's Points :
Honorable or General 'Character of Service' showing on a DD214 or DD215 attached to your application - 5 Points
Honorable or General 'Character of Service' showing on a DD214 or DD215 and a 'Certificate of Civil Service' preference letter attached to your application - 10 Points
For questions about the job announcement, call 503-378-8139.
For technical help with online application, call 1-877-204-4442.
Application Help: Application Help: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/CS/HR/jobs/Application_Help.pdf
- Analyze business needs for the development of software that changes/re-engineers business processes. Primary responsibility includes software requirements and data analysis.
- Oversee design of system, production of system and program narratives, charts, diagrams, record layout reports, screens and files.
- Develop alternative solutions by researching existing systems, programs, procedures and pertinent customer data; perform cost, volume frequency, and procedural analysis; and/or create approaches to solve new and complex problems.
- Develop project deliverables through all phases of assigned projects. Complete projects to customer and supervisors satisfaction and in accordance with development plans, requirements, standards, and agreed upon timelines.
- Plan for a variety of applications/operating systems with a variety of users and hardware.
- Evaluate new industry products, approaches, and technology directions with focus on how they may be integrated into ODOT technology.
- Diagnose user problems, up to and including system crashes, and ensure resolution by working with programmers to fix the software.
- Identify corrupt or problematic data issues for mission critical systems; evaluate and execute actions to resolve errors.
- Develop and conduct formal training for users and data processing staff in the operation of new data processing systems, software packages, and information systems' processes.
Electronic Application Checklist:
Supplemental Questions Responses
Veteran's Documents - If Applicable
Transcripts – If using education to meet minimum qualifications
Oregon Department of Transportation
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
Announcement information can be made available in an alternative format by calling 711 (Relay Operator for the Deaf).
ODOT does not discriminate on the basis of disability in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices. Contact 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT) for questions regarding Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
The Oregon State Government is expected to continue cost reduction measures including mandatory unpaid time off (furlough days) during the 2011-2013 biennium.
- State Directories
- Agencies A to Z
- Oregon Administrative Rules
- Oregon Revised Statutes
- About Oregon.gov
Web Site Links
State of Oregon - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard