Consumer Reports tests all kinds of consumer products so you don’t have to. Completely independent of corporate influence – we take no advertising or freebies – we tell you how a product will really perform when you use it. When better information isn’t enough to get you good value, we advocate for laws and standards that encourage competition, and we organize consumers to advocate for themselves. We are nonprofit, supported by donations and by the individuals who pay for our ratings products (Consumer Reports Magazine, Consumer Reports Online, ShopSmart and more). We are driven by our mission. We’ve been around since the 1930s and will be around as long as people need a reliable antidote to misleading advertising and a strong counterbalance to the power of corporations.
The Innovation Engineer is a key role in the TIC (Technology Innovation Center) located in New York City and is committed to lean new product development techniques contributing to the design and development of Minimum Viable Products (MVPs). Architect, develop and oversee the software work of the innovation development team. Actively participates with designers and product managers as a member of an agile team.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field. Or equivalent work experience.
- 5-10 years of IT and business work experience on mobile/Web/connected devices.
- Proven experience in designing and creating MVPs to support expedited Product and Technology Innovation using agile (Scrum, XP, Kanban, etc.), lean startup, and customer and product validation methodologies.
- Knowledge of and experience in developing customer-facing mobile/Web/connected devices technologies, e-commerce, REST, on-line subscriptions, content management and publishing, databases, on-line marketing and analytics, and quality assurance.
- Proven experience prototyping software using desktop/mobile tools and full LAMP stack.
- Enthusiastic, entrepreneurial engineer with a sense of urgency, possibility, and accountability who delivers quality work fast with strong attention to detail.
- Extensive mobile development in native iOS and/or Android, PhoneGap, Titanium, etc.
- Experience programming open-source and new hardware via APIs a plus.
Normal Physical demands associated with working in an office environment and prolonged computer usage. Able to travel.
- Innovation : Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work; helps others step out of their comfort zone and be more open to new ideas and approaches.
- Teamwork: Encourages participation and collaboration of team to solve issues that will benefit the organization and their customers. Fosters commitment to team projects and values the contributions of team members to the overall team’s success. Actively works to mitigate conflicts and resistance within the team.
- Communication Skills : Demonstrates ability to speak, write, and present information in a clear, concise, and compelling manner that is tailored to multiple audiences, including external media and consumers. Demonstrates strong active listening skills.
- Collaboration: Encourages participation and collaboration of teams to solve issues that will benefit the organization and its customers; fosters commitment to team projects and values the contribution of team members to the overall team’s success; actively works to mitigate conflicts and resistance.
- Team Leadership: Anticipates and resolves conflicts, turns team diversity into an advantage, uses unique team talents, defines processes and goals, works for consensus. Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Planning and Organizing: Demonstrates ability to develop effective short and long-range courses of actions for meeting goals; anticipates obstacles to goal attainment and identifies necessary activities and resources to accomplish goals. Demonstrates ability to be flexible to new opportunities, to think ahead, monitor own progress, and make adjustments when necessary.
- Interpersonal: Strong ability to forge solid working relationships with colleagues across the organization. Desire and commitment to establish a partnering and trusting relationship with internal and external people.
- Run and participate in lean experiment design, development, testing (including street interviews), and learnings analysis for iterative customer/product validation.
- Ideate and test products and services concepts that leverage CR’s unique assets and trusted brand, that embody the CR mission, and that customers love.
- Quickly diagram and prototype software UX using tools such as Balsamiq, dapp, Omnigraffle, Visio, Google Apps, &c.
- Architect and develop MVPs as simple as surveys or landing pages, to click-through static pages or simple interactive prototypes (low-fi and hi-fi), to full-fledged mobile/Web/connected device digital experiences.
- Implement, analyze, and support tracking analytics for metrics on user behaviors.
- Keep updated on and leverage open source software and APIs and services such as Google APIs, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twilio, Parse, OpenTok, etc.
- Work closely with designers and product managers as an agile team.
- Envision and implement new cutting-edge, compelling interactive experiences for mobile, Web, vehicle computers, and other connected devices, leveraging the latest technologies and trends such as multi-media, transmedia, geolocation, mobile cameras and accelerometers, XBOX, Apple TV, Samsung Smart TVs, Roku, etc.
- Participate in pitch presentations to CR Product Management and key stakeholders.
- Manage engineering staff (consultants and/or employees) including training, work assignment, and assessment.
- Participate in hi-tech and industry hackathons, meetups, events, and conferences that further the goals of the TIC.
- Other duties as required.
- 13 months ago - save job