State: Rhode Island
Postal/Zip Code: 02910
P.J. Keating Company, an Oldcastle Materials company, is a leading manufacturer of aggregate and HMA products and Paving and Construction in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. We operate aggregate and Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) production facilities in Acushnet, Dracut, and Lunenburg, Massachusetts as well as Cranston, Rhode Island. Our modern facilities, veteran paving crews, experienced construction management team and large investment in plants and equipment make us one of the largest and most efficient producers in the state of Massachusetts as well as one of only two RIDOT approved stone suppliers in the state of Rhode Island.
Are you looking for opportunities and benefits of a large corporation with a small company feel? Then P.J. Keating Company and Oldcastle Materials is the company for you! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Compliance with company safety standards and policies
- Provide pricing and delivery information
- Take ownership of and effectively manage and resolve customer issues
- Responsible for maintaining effective relationships with current customers that lead to increased sales and revenue
- Processing sales requests directly from customers and/or outsides sales
- Generate new business marketing strategies
- Coordinates delivery/pick-up of customer orders, tracking and resolve customer inquiries with expediency
- Develop and grow outbound customer call list and new business prospects
- Plan and implement telemarketing and prospecting objectives
- Provide a central communication link for the district through accurate and professional operation of Nextel and/or CB radio. Must continually listen to the radio for potential problems. As problems arise, take appropriate action or refer to appropriate manager.
- You will be responsible for the efficient running of the Scale House and ensure that trucks are being loaded and dispatched without delay by coordinating with Loader/Plant Operators and Quarry Superintendents as necessary.
- Provide a link between the Sales Department, Customers and Quarry/Asphalt Superintendents through efficient scheduling and co-ordination of all orders.
- Weighing of trucks, produce accurate transactions on a timely basis of construction materials according to DOT regulations, state laws and company policy.
- Maintain accurate files in the point of sale system on customers, jobs, products, trucking, and haul rates
- Process customer telephone orders and schedule deliveries for construction materials
- Take telephone calls from existing and potential customers and ensure to the best of your ability that customer orders are dispatched in a timely and professional manner.
- You will be required to take a First Aid/CPR Course so as to be in a position to provide First Aid/CPR as needed and you will be required to file paperwork for all accidents/near misses to the Safety Department in a timely fashion. This will be done in co-ordination with the supervisors of whatever department the accident occurred and copies of all paperwork will be kept by you in a prominent location to present to MSHA/OSHA inspectors as required.
- Direct company based and hired trucks daily activities from Transportation Managers schedules. Direction of company trucks will be done in co-ordination with Trucking Coordinator/Transportation Manager and will require knowledge of the specific Union Contracts, which contracts you will be required to familiarize yourself with upon starting
- Ensure driver paperwork, daily sales information and any additional information that is required be completed accurately and timely, proper records kept and pertinent copies are passed on to the appropriate parties
- Maintain up-to-date DOT files for all drivers, abiding by federal regulations
- Balance daily cash sales and submit to accounting
- Must display a courteous and professional attitude when dealing with co-workers and the public
- Monitor and track trucks from the start of the order until it has finished and continually make sound decisions that will maintain service levels
- Communicate every morning with the Plant Operators to make sure they are ready for batching and that there are trucks available to load
- Inside sales support/administration
Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Construction Materials industry background is desirable
Knowledge / Skill Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook, etc., and knowledge of current operating systems and office suites
- Able to work independently with attention to detail
- Able to follow direction and work effectively in a team environment
- Able to respond to stressful situations and customers in a professional, courteous manner
- Able to read maps
- Excellent organizational skills
- Able to write reports, document findings, and procedures, and to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- Able to work various times during day, night or weekend hours
- Abide by established Guiding Principles: Integrity, Communication, Recognition, Action and Results Oriented, Positive Attitude, Work Ethic, Growth and Development, and Commitment.
- Ensure that the workplace is kept in a neat, clean, and safe condition.
- Display professional and respectful attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to be available during non-business hours to handle last minute scheduling changes etc. (i.e. nights and weekends).
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Environmental, Health, & Safety Manual.
Personal Protective Equipment
- Employees are required to wear personal protective equipment in designated operations and construction areas as outlined by OSHA, MSHA, and state agencies.
- Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position: Hardhat, safety glasses, face shield, welding helmet, reinforced toed shoes, hand protection, respirator, air monitor, reflective safety vest.
- The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb, or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and taste or smell.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and heat. The employee frequently works outside and has exposure to some vibration.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
P.J. Keating Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer
P.J. Keating Company is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.
Oldcastle is the largest manufacturer of building products and materials in North America with more than 1500 locations and 35,000...