Permanent 10 month, Part-time 47.5% position. The current vacancy is located at Jordan High School. All applications for this position must be submitted online.
Under immediate supervision, assist and participate in the instruction, rehearsal, and performance of students and music groups; perform related duties as assigned.
Examples of Duties:
• Discuss classroom learning activities with teacher/specialist to coordinate instructional efforts and to implement instructional programs. E
• Tutor or drill students, individually or in groups, following lesson plans developed by the teacher or reinforce learning concepts. E
• Operate a variety of office machines and/or instructional equipment such as a mimeograph, adding machine, typewriter, personal computer, computer terminal, copiers, laminator, telephone, and video cassette recorder. E
• Perform a variety of classroom associated clerical work, such as typing, sorting, filing, keeping accurate records, setting up and maintaining file folders, recording attendance, completing forms and applications, collecting monies, measuring, cutting, and duplicating. E
• Prepare various teaching aids by such methods as typing, duplicating, collating, stapling, laminating to produce such materials as charts, graphs and other related materials. E
• Assist in classroom organizing activities such as displaying educational materials, preparing bulletin boards, arranging furniture to facilitate instructional needs, creating an orderly and clean classroom environment. E
• Replenish supplies and materials from the stock room for classroom use. E
• Conduct sectional rehearsals. E
• Chart field formations for half-time show. E
• Assist in student control. E
• Issue uniforms, equipment and instruments. E
• Sort, file and issue sheet music. E
• Receive and file forms received from students. E
• Administer first aid or necessary physical assistance to ill or distressed students;may administer prescribed medication in accordance with established District procedure. E
• Push or pull students in a wheelchair and provide incidental hygienic or diapering support as assigned.
Marching patterns and maneuvers.
Learning patterns of children.
Child behavior and behavior modification.
English usage, grammar and punctuation.
Record keeping techniques.
Play a musical instrument.
Conduct sectional rehearsals.
Drill students in marching formation.
Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
Learn to tutor students in areas related to music.
Motivate and encourage positive learning patterns and behavior.
Assist with the discipline of students in accordance with District policy.
Print and handwrite legibly.
Operate a variety of office and classroom machines and equipment, (copy machine, video cassette recorder, slide projector, microcomputer.)
Perform a variety of clerical duties such as typing, sorting, measuring, cutting, filing, and duplicating.
Keep accurate records.
Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
Demonstrate a willingness to work collaboratively as an educational team member.
Administer first aid or necessary physical assistance to ill or distressed students.
Education and Training:
Consistent with the No Child Left Behind Act of 2002 and other related legislation, candidates for this classification must meet the following standards:
The equivalent of graduation from high school and one of the following:
1. Completion of at least two years of study (48 semester units or 60 quarter units) at an institution of higher education; Or
2. Attainment of an Associate of Arts degree or higher degree; Or
3. Meeting a rigorous standard of quality by receiving a passing score in an examination administered by the Personnel Commission which demonstrates the knowledge and ability to assist in instructing reading, writing and mathematics.
In addition to the above standards, applicants must also show proof of completion of one college-level course of instrumental activity.
One year of playing an instrument in a band, orchestra, or as a soloist.
Experience in charting field formations for marching bands is desired.
Any other combination of training and experience that could likely provide the desired skills, knowledge or abilities may be considered, however, experience cannot substitute for the required minimum education.
Some positions in this classification may require the use of personal automobile and possession of a valid California Class C driver's license.
The Long Beach Unified School District has earned a reputation as one of America's finest school systems, winning many awards as a national...