Instructor position in a multi-site college in the University System of Georgia. Teaching load is the equivalent of 30 semester hours across fall and spring semesters of the 2014 – 2015 academic year. Reporting to the division dean, the faculty member’s primary responsibilities are preparing for and delivering instruction as well as providing service to the college and advising.
Position requires a Master’s degree in English with a minimum of 18 semester hours or 30 quarter graduate hours in English. Doctorate preferred. Prior teaching experience, which includes the use of current classroom technology, at the two-year college level is desired.
• Teaches 30 credit hours per academic year as assigned (day, evening or weekend) at one or more of the Georgia Highlands College locations. Primary location will be Douglasville campus, but location is subject to change as needed.
• Adopts and implements common course objectives as required by the division and discipline
• Manages courses through systematic use of appropriate syllabi and accurate, professional records of students’ class performance, attendance and grades
• Announces and keeps regular office hours, dedicating 10 hours (or more) per week to assisting students
• Maintains involved and knowledgeable participation in academic advising of students as required by division
• Offers professional assistance in curriculum development, review, and instructional materials selection
• Participates in the extended work of the college through participation in committees of the college or faculty, student organizations, and attends division meetings, full faculty meetings, town hall meetings, in-service training, and graduation
• Engages in functions of evidence-based academic and program assessment, as required for accreditation, college compliance, and continuous review and improvement of student learning outcomes
• Demonstrates meaningful service to the community and to the profession
• Pursues continued professional development in academic discipline, technological applications for the classroom, and innovations and enhancement in teaching and learning
• Performs related duties
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities