FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The New Community College at CUNY (NCC) seeks an experienced educator in Mathematics or Developmental Mathematics to join the faculty as an Instructor. The successful candidate will be an accomplished and dedicated instructor committed to preparing urban community college students - who typically enter unprepared to do college level work - for academic success and completion. To do so, the candidate will make use of a range of effective curricular, teaching and support strategies and be flexible and open to sharing and learning from others. The candidate must also share the College's vision to serve a linguistically and culturally diverse student body. Appointment to begin fall 2013.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION:
Located in midtown Manhattan, the New Community College (NCC) was established with the goal of significantly improving student learning, retention and graduation, by rethinking community college education and practice. The College is committed to using a range of innovative approaches in order to achieve these goals and to improve student persistence and completion. The centerpiece of the NCC's educational model is an integrated first-year core curriculum that builds the academic, linguistic and affective skills necessary for success in college and career. Additional features of the model include using New York City as a context for learning in and out of the classroom, the integration of academic and student support services, and the use of ePortfolios. The NCC currently offers five majors: business administration, information technology, human services, liberal arts and sciences, and urban studies, and will offer additional programs in the future. The College admitted its first cohort of 300 students in August 2012. At full capacity, the NCC will enroll 3,000 to 5,000 students.
The general responsibilities of instructors may include, but are not limited to, teaching courses in the first-year core and in the majors; advising students, participating in committees and other governance structures; and performing administrative and other functions as assigned.
The candidate will understand remediation as a supportive as well as challenging introduction to genuine discourse. S/he will be comfortable crossing disciplinary boundaries, and will be able to analyze the conceptual demands of mathematical assignments across the disciplines and to integrate them into the College's interdisciplinary first year experience. Candidates will have the capacity to work with their colleagues to develop courses and learning goals, to create learning communities, and to define and participate in faculty development initiatives.
Specifically, the successful candidate will:
College's faculty and staff;
- Be a member of an instructional team teaching in the College's first-year core curriculum;
- Teach math courses beyond the first year curriculum;
- Participate in developing and refining curricula, learning objectives, and assessments;
- Participate in the ongoing development of appropriate policies for the institution along with the
college completion and transition to further education or careers.
- Establish relationships with organizations that will contribute to the educational model;
- Work toward the realization of an institution focused on preparing students for academic success,
The successful candidate will have the following professional and specialized competencies:
closely related field required;
- A Master's Degree in Mathematics, Math Education, Applied Math, Developmental Education, or a
adopting new practices;
- Demonstrated capacity to use a diverse range of effective instructional strategies and openness to
Additional consideration will be given to applicants who meet the above requirements plus the following:
- An understanding of urban community college students assets and challenges.
- Experience teaching developmental mathematics education;
- Demonstrated experience in program or curriculum development;
- A commitment and the ability to take full advantage of a technology-rich environment;
- Experience working with an economically and culturally diverse student body;
- Capacity to establish partnerships with the public and private sectors.
Compensation commensurate with experience, qualifications and academic accomplishments.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
From our job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title.
Make sure to upload a cover letter, CV/resume, statement of scholarly interests, and evidence of teaching ability (as one document), with the contact information of 3 professional references by the closing date.
Before applying, candidates are encouraged to visit the New Community College website (www.ncc.cuny.edu) to learn more about the new institution.
60 days from date of posting.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
CUNY - 20 months ago