Performs detailed research and analysis of criminal intelligence information. Work involves analyzing data, writing reports, and developing links between criminals and crime groups or patterns of criminal activity. This is a non-sworn, civilian position.
Examples of Duties:
- Plan, oversee and carry out administrative/operational analysis projects working with department personnel, outside agencies and various citizen groups.
- Gather and analyze quantitative and qualitative crime related information from a variety sources.
- Conduct analysis of criminal activity, repeat offenders and other crime related trends. Prepare summaries, reports and recommendations based on analysis.
- Provide technical assistance to managers in the design or modification of crime tracking analysis systems.
- Provide citizens and police staff with general and specific information on criminal and issues by telephone, written report and public presentation.
- Recommend resources and solutions to neighborhood problems and crime problems, as a resource to officers.
- Work with police department staff to identify goals and objectives for specific crimes.
- Monitor manual tracking files to establish crime trends and patterns.
- Assist with creating strategies for addressing policy issues.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with course work in criminal justice, computer science, statistics, or a related field OR a combination of education, training and experience which demonstrates the skills, knowledge and abilities required for the job.
- Education and/or experience should include work with computers, especially spreadsheet and database applications, contemporary analytical techniques, mathematics and statistics.
- Analytical experience involving research and reporting of complex data. Knowledge of the subject matter of crime analysis or experience in law enforcement or emergency services is highly desirable.
- Experience in Microsoft office including Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher and Word.
Abilities Highly Desired:
- Thorough knowledge of analysis methods, practices and procedures.
- Basic principles of public relations.
- Knowledge of statistical methods, including trend analysis.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis software, MS programming languages, SQL server and reporting services.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication abilities including establishing and maintaining cooperative-working relationships with those contacted in the course of work and responding to situations with the public in a fair and tactful manner.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast paced law enforcement environment with rapidly changing work assignments and priorities.
- Analyze a variety of information, interpret results, and make recommendations based on these results.
- Make accurate predictions based on trend analysis.
- Work under stress with accuracy and efficiency.
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
Town of Fishers, IN - 16 months ago