An Intern/Cooperative Associate is a temporarily employed full-time college student in an accredited four-year institution of higher learning, who is offered a work-study program designed to give college students practical work experience in their field of study. This program often helps students determine career interests. Beyond the scope of the actual tasks performed, the student becomes familiar with a corporate environment and gains practical skills and knowledge to supplement their classroom experience.
Position will entail:
Interns will assist in projects like:
- Preparing journal entries, based on information from various systems
- Preparing general ledger account reconciliations
- Analyzing and interpret financial results in order to explain P&L and balance sheet variances
- Updating and or developing various reports for internal customers
- Assisting with the development of disclosures for quarterly 10Q SEC filing
- Handling special projects or ad hoc requests for financial information
- Evaluating the effects of new accounting standards and related guidance on commodity transactions
- Coordinating the processing of payments and/or receipts associated with energy settlement transactions
- Utilizing Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook for report preparation, analysis, documentation and communication
- Reviewing commodity purchase or sales contracts for accounting issues
- Testing and/or documenting SOX issues and controls
- Coordinating monthly closing activities for the department
- Analyzing and resolving general ledger account reconciliation variances
- Processing invoices for payment and/or receipts associated with energy settlement transactions
- Preparing monthly journal entries for specific energy transactions
- Assisting with the gathering of information and preparation of internal reports of energy gross margins
- Reviewing information and reports to ensure they support disclosures in the Second Quarter 10Q filing
- Discussing and resolving miscellaneous issues with other departments, including energy trading operations
Candidates must meet the basic qualifications to receive consideration.
- Enrolled in an accredited college or university program.
- Enrolled in a curriculum leading to a baccalaureate or masters degree Accounting.
- Enrolled on a full-time basis (12 semester hours). Students may not continue as a Co-operative Associate once they have graduated.
- Have an acceptable overall grade point average, generally not lower than a 3.2.
- Eligible to work in accordance with Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) regulations.
- Able to provide an official student transcript and other required information.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Proficient in computer applications, including MS Excel, Word and Outlook
- Able to interpret accounting principles and apply the guidance to energy transactions
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills
- Willingness to work some overtime to meet month-end closing deadlines
Equal Employment Opportunity
PPL is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity and the strength it brings to the workplace - M/F/D/V
PPL Corporation - 2 years ago
PPL Corporation (PPL) is an energy and utility holding company, which through its subsidiaries, generates electricity from power plants in...