The J.R. Simplot Company is a diverse, privately held organization with roots firmly planted in agriculture and agriculture-related businesses. These endeavors have been around for centuries and will continue to be a vital part of the global economy. We currently have an internship opportunity available for a Metallurgical Engineer at our phosphate mine operation in Vernal, Utah.
What's in it for you?
This Internship opportunity is designed to provide a realistic job preview and lay the solid foundation necessary for future employment as a Simplot Engineer. This is your chance to learn firsthand about metallurgy and mineral processing issues that impact the environment, community and economy.
Simplot Phosphates, LLC produces high-quality phosphate fertilizer. At the Vernal mine, Phosphate ore is mined, crushed, washed, finely ground and concentrated. The ore is then mixed with water to form a slurry and shipped 96 miles through a pressurized pipeline to the manufacturing plant south of Rock Springs, Wyoming. Simplot Phosphates is part of the AgriBusiness Group, which is a part of the J.R. Simplot Company. The Agribusiness Group is focused on meeting the needs of its customers through the environmentally conscious extraction of natural resources, the manufacturing of fertilizers and the distribution of the highest-quality agricultural products. Along with the rest of the J.R. Simplot Company, the employees of the AgriBusiness Group recognize and embrace the responsibilities that fall to a company dedicated to Bringing Earth's Resources to Life.
- Works with lab and concentrator personnel to improve process performance and reliability.
- Employs analytical equipment troubleshooting and commissioning with several common mineral analyzers.
- Participates and oversees projects, independently and as a team member.
- Conducts energy efficiency studies, reagent testing, daily assay samples.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 (preferred)
- Currently enrolled in an accredited university within the Engineering Department (Metallurgical or Chemical preferred) and completed at least junior year
- MS Excel computer experience in floatation bench scale testing desired
- Experience in using atomic absorption spectroscopy x-ray fluorescence or ion coupled plasma preferred
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills needed along with ability to work independently
- Have the ability to lift and carry 50 pounds and hike over rough terrain, working in adverse weather conditions
- Possibility of working weekends and/or overtime
From semester end through August or September, 2013
Compensation: $20 per hour
- Visit www.simplot.com/careers
- Select Job Search
- Select Professional Jobs
- Select All Open Positions
- Apply to Job #1132
Please prepare a cover letter outlining your interest and qualifications and submit with your resume via our online application process described above. For best results, please upload your resume as a Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF document. This process includes additional job relevant questions, so plan on at least 20 minutes when you apply.
- Apply to Job #1132 via Employee Space using your Simplot e-mail address
When a position is in the interview stage or has been filled, it will no longer appear on our Simplot Careers website. If you experience any technical difficulties when applying through our online system, please contact our Employment Center for assistance at or 1-877-878-7404.
- The J.R. Simplot Company is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer*