FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position Internal Auditor, Investigation, in Washington, DC.
The Office of Compliance and Internal Audit (OCIA) comprises the Compliance and Internal Audit functions. OCIA and the Office of General Counsel are the first responders to compliance issues providing objective assurance that FHI 360’s business risks are being managed appropriately and that the organization’s risk management and internal control framework is operating effectively. OCIA provides oversight & advice on regulatory compliance and conducts reviews of the reliability and integrity of financial and operating information as well as the systems established by the organization to ensure compliance with FHI 360 policies and procedures, client/donor policies and regulations, and US and host country laws and regulations.
Assists OCIA Management team with coordination and handling of internal investigations and special projects; assists in performing internal audit reviews and other duties as assigned.
Conducts internal financial and/or system audits and risk assessments. May test and document financial and computer system records for information system integrity and transaction accuracy. Reports discrepancies, prepares audit and investigation plans and understands the specific issues to be evaluated. Executes internal audits within established business process controls. Develops formal written reports to communicate audit results to management and regulatory compliance agencies, if applicable, and makes recommendations, as appropriate. May facilitate work of external auditors during on-site visits. May require audit knowledge and skills in finance/accounting and/or information system operations. Knowledge of OMB Circular A-122, Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) and Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) may also be required.
Essential Job Functions
- Facilitates the collection, review, and analysis of all evidence and documentation related to an investigation.
- Assists in conducting investigations of irregularities discovered by internal and external auditor reviews or reported through the hotline or other sources.
- Drafts formal internal and external communication on the outcome of the investigations, such as final closing reports.
- Assists with setting up meetings and coordinating conference calls and briefings.
- Maintains documentation relating to the investigative work as required by applicable regulations and OCIA practices.
- Performs financial, operational, and compliance audits in accordance with the company internal audit program.
- Documents processes for improving internal controls, operating efficiency, and the adequacy of records and recordkeeping.
- Reports internal audit findings to appropriate management based on audit results, and at any time when issues need to be addressed by management.
- Conducts follow-up reviews of financial, operational, or regulatory compliance deficiencies noted during audits.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration from a four-year college or university; or 3-5 years of progressively responsible financial analysis experience in an internal audit role; or equivalent combination of education and experience. CPA, CFE or CIA certification is strongly desired.
Project management and past investigation experience, specifically related to international development work; experience interfacing with project management on audits and internal investigations.
Excellent business writing skills; ability to communicate and articulate complex ideas in a clear, concise and effective way for clients and staff; positive and cooperative attitude.
Familiarity with non-profit and Government Contracting Rules and Regulations.
Prior overseas experience and knowledge of foreign languages preferred.
Experience in providing outstanding customer service, performing complex activities associated with ensuring compliance with company’s system of internal controls is required.
Computerized accounting software experience and proficiency in spreadsheet software required.
Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English.
- Demonstrates ability to gather, analyze, and synthesize information from many sources.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; must be able to work with a minimum of supervision in the conceptualization, planning, management and implementation of activities.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, time management, project management, and prioritization skills.
- Proven computer skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, electronic mail and knowledge of the Internet and on-line systems.
- Applies general knowledge of applicable statutes, regulations, entity/company practices and concepts.
- Familiar with general principles and process involved in conducting an internal audit.
- Familiar with automated financial reporting, government accounting practices, Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), and Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) systems.
- Applies general information technologies to meet work needs.
- Provides basic or general oral and written information.
- Initiates and maintains relationships with industry representatives, external auditing firm, co-workers and others.
- Organizes and formats reports to comply with applicable guidelines and provides appropriate documentation to support conclusions.
- Presents oral and written testimony on basic issues.
- Foreign language skills such as French, Portuguese or Spanish (desirable)
FHI 360 has a competitive compensation package. Interested candidates may register online through FHI 360's Career Center at http://www.fhi360.org/careers or through the Employment section at www.fhi360.org. Please submit CV/resume and cover letter including salary requirements. Please specify source in your application.