Zookeeper Intern (unpaid) - Entomology
Major: Biology, Environmental sciences, Education or related fields
Company Name: Butterfly Pavilion
Location: Westminster, CO / Metro Denver Area
Company Description: Butterfly Pavilion combines science education with interactive fun to teach visitors about invertebrates and conservation. Invertebrates – animals without backbones, make up 97% of all animal species on the planet! Our zoo is designed to showcase the diversity of these small wonders, their habitats, and the big role they play in ensuring the health of our environment. Five immersive exhibits, including a tropical rainforest filled with 1,600 free-flying butterflies, provide visitors of all ages with an unforgettable experience. We are the zoo of small wonders and BIG experiences!
Mission: Butterfly Pavilion's missionis to foster an appreciation of invertebrates while educating the public about the importance of conservation of threatened habitats in the tropics and around the world.
Quality Statement: Butterfly Pavilion is currently seeking a creative, highly motivated, and energetic individual to assist in marine animal care, animal handling and visitor education as part of a team of talented and experienced staff and volunteers. The primary goal of a Butterfly Pavilion Curatorial Internship is for students to gain knowledge and hands-on training in invertebrate animal husbandry.
- Pursuing or hold a degree in biology, environmental sciences, education or related fields
- Interest in invertebrate animal husbandry and care, visitor and environmental education
- Basic computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets)
- Willingness to handle animals (all training provided onsite)
- Individuals of all ethnic backgrounds are encouraged to apply
- Free of tuberculosis in a communicable form.
- Tetanus shot required.
- Must be able to lift at least 40 pound.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to bend, kneel, lift and carry.
While performing the responsibilities of the curatorial zookeeper intern, the following characteristics are representative of potential outdoor and conservatory environment the intern will encounter: high humidity, intense sunlight, heat, cold, wind, precipitation, uneven surfaces. While performing the duties of this job, the intern is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The intern should expect some exposure to mild chemicals such as rubbing alcohol and cleaning supplies. The intern will also be occasionally exposed to a variety of living invertebrates. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate, with occasional bursts of loud noise.
Butterfly Pavilion is currently seeking a talented, enthusiastic individual to assist in our public curatorial department as part of a team of experienced and hard-working staff and volunteers. This unpaid, academic internship will provide a well-rounded, hands-on educational experience in the field of zoological aquaria in a public setting.
Reports To: Curatorial Management
Duration of Internship: One Semester / Fall 2014
- Provides public customer service, education, and animal contact/interaction in the exhibit areas of the Butterfly Pavilion
- Responsible for the day-to-day care for all animals on exhibit and behind the scenes, maintaining daily record keeping
- Clean and maintain all exhibit and behind the scene areas
- Provide support to Curatorial zookeepers
- Develop and execute an independent project to emphasize particular interest and expand the knowledge base of the Curatorial Department.
- Maintenance of exhibit quality standards through regular cleaning of exhibits and quarantine systems,
- Providing for the needs of all animals through food preparation and feeding, extensive record keeping, maintenance of water quality parameters, assistance in medical treatments and also special projects.
- Animal health and visitor experience are the two driving priorities in accomplishing the goals of this position.
Start Date: August 15-September 1, 2014
Hours per week: 16-24 depending on credit hours required
Compensation: credit given per requirement of bachelor's or master's program- unpaid position
To apply, please forward resume and cover letter
Butterfly Pavilion - 4 months ago