The Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights seeks a communications professional to help convey the mission, goals, and activities of the organization to press, fellow advocates, field partners, donors, and the general public.
He/she will be based in New York, N.Y., and will report to the Communications Director.
The RFK Center’s core program areas are linked by a common commitment to helping realize Robert Kennedy’s dream of a more just and peaceful world: RFK Partners for Human Rights, the RFK Center’s litigation, advocacy, and capacity-building arm, builds multi-year partnerships with human rights activists to advance social justice goals around the world; RFK Speak Truth To Power educates more than half a million students around the world each year with a human rights school curriculum offered from pre-school to law school; and RFK Compass promotes corporate responsibility by ensuring that human rights concerns, fair labor practices, and environmental safeguards are reflected in global investment strategies. The RFK Center’s European partner organization, RFK Europe, provides human rights education programs to schools across the continent, and operates the RFK Europe Training Institute providing cutting edge training for human rights activists and grassroots organizations.
The RFK Communications team coordinates the media coverage and public profile of the RFK Center across three full-time staff offices in Washington, New York, and Florence, Italy, as well as a range of field-based partners operating in Sweden, Mexico, Western Sahara, Zimbabwe, Uganda, and various US sites including Southern California and the Gulf Coast.
The Staff Writer will support this work through a network of responsibilities to include:
• Drafting speeches, talking points, statements, quotes, op-eds, and a variety of other written content on behalf of the RFK Center and senior leadership
• Working with human rights staff experts to draft press releases, blog posts, and social media content
• Vetting potential speaking opportunities and providing briefing materials and research in advance of speaking opportunities
• Creating content for RFK Center website, including legacy materials on the life of Robert Kennedy
• Creating content for annual reports and monthly membership newsletters
• Writing scripts for galas, award ceremonies, and public events
• Supporting Communications staff as needed with press archives, media opportunities, pitches, etc.
• Supporting Development staff with funding proposals and donor appeals
• Supporting human rights staff with reports on human rights crises and programs
• Managing the organizational voice across all programs and offices to ensure consistent messaging
• Bringing creative energy to conceiving and implementing advocacy and public awareness campaigns in both traditional and new media
• 2-6 years writing experience in non-profit, government, press, or politics
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and experience writing for news articles, press releases, talking points, and advocacy or constituent reports
• Demonstrated skill at writing for different voices and audiences, often under tight deadline
• Understanding of the 24/7 nature of news and communications
• French, Spanish, Arabic, or Italian language skills appreciated
• Commitment to social justice and to Robert Kennedy’s vision for a more just and peaceful world essential
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and 1-2 short writing samples to
with the subject line "RFK Staff Writer."