Journeyman Electricians will perform all aspects of industrial facility wiring installation, maintenance, and trouble shooting.
Physical duties involve occasionally climbing and maintaining balance on ladders to gain access to elevated structures and/or bucket or lift trucks; maintaining balance when occasionally walking on catwalks, running boards, uneven terrain, ballast, and roofs while making repairs; lift/carry and push/pull objects weighing 25 lbs to 70 lbs occasionally; performing work while occasionally bending and stooping and in awkward postural positions; performing overhead work for short periods of time; and remaining standing or sitting for more than one-half of every work day with the opportunity to periodically change position for comfort.; use of shovels, tampers, picks, etc.; use of various hand and power tools.
For this position, you will be required to become a Union Pacific certified driver during your probationary period. To become certified, you must meet the following Motor Vehicle and Medical Requirements.
1. Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Motor Vehicle Requirements:
2. Have valid driver's license
3. Have an acceptable driving record per your Motor Vehicle Record (MVR). This includes commercial and personal vehicles. No more than one moving violation conviction in the past three years. No DUI/DWI/Refusal convictions in the past three years. No more than one DOT reportable accident in past three years.
4. You may also be required to obtain your Commercial Driver's License (CDL) if you will be operating a vehicle(s) with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs or greater. If this is required, you will need to obtain your CDL during your probationary period.
- Medical Requirements : Must meet the medical requirements (also called physical qualifications) for commercial motor vehicle drivers as specified by the US Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). For more information about FMCSA physical qualifications for drivers click here . Health and Medical Services at Union Pacific Railroad will make the final determination on whether or not an individual meets the FMCSA medical qualifications, and may add additional medical requirements to assure the person can safety perform job tasks, with or without accommodation.
DOT license required within 90 days of hire.
- TROUBLESHOOT MALFUNCTIONS. Diagnose issues of electrical components; assess nature of problem and determine needed corrective action; includes both high and low voltage equipment.
- PERFORM MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR. Repair or replace electrical components; disassemble and clean electrical parts; assemble components; provide maintenance for miscellaneous equipment and facilities with or without blueprints, schematics, and location circuit plans.
Required Education, Training, Experience or Skills:
- CONSTRUCTION. Construct, with or without drawings, electrical utilities and appliances used in everyday railroad operations. This includes, but not limited to, both primary and secondary power lines, transformers, both interior and exterior lighting, conduits, switch gear, electrical panels, and standby generation.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Computer literate and have basic keyboarding skills
- Applicants receiving a conditional job offer must pass a color vision assessment to ensure that they are able to perform the essential functions of the job by adequately discerning different colors.
- Applicants must be able and willing to understand and apply safety rules, practice safe work habits, identify safety risks, and avoid potentially risky behaviors and situations.
- Applicants must have the ability to communicate with others.
- Read electrical schematics and prints
- Ability to effectively and accurately understand, interpret, reference, evaluate, organize, and record non-technical and technical information.
- A current electrician license
- Applicants must have a basic knowledge of national, state, and local electrical codes.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with coworkers, supervisors and/or customers and effectively handle conflict situations
- Ability to speak English in a clear, concise manner in order to communicate with coworker(s) and supervisor(s)
- Authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
Preferred Education, Training, Experience or Skills:
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
- Preference will be given to applicants with the following experience: 1) PLC and/or relay based control systems; 2) High voltage distribution systems, underground and overhead, to 15KV; 3) Pole climbing experience.
- On a post-offer basis, Union Pacific will conduct an investigation into newly hired or transferred employees regarding their past employment, state and federal criminal history, military history, driving history, education, professional license or certification verification if job-related, Social Security number, prior drug history, and other job-related information. Individuals must pass a background investigation for employment. Click here for Union Pacific's policy regarding background investigations.
- Employment with Union Pacific is contingent upon the successful completion of a medical examination for newly hired or transferred employees. The medical examination includes a drug screen, a color vision exam, and a medical assessment to ensure that candidates can safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. In addition, the company conducts for-cause, post-accident, and random drug and alcohol testing of its employees.
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.
- Union membership initiation fee and monthly dues or assessments are required as per the collective bargaining agreement.
- There is a probationary period which is governed by the collective bargaining agreement based on territory
- These positions are governed by a collective bargaining agreement. Membership to the respective labor union is required
- Union Pacific operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You will be required to work various shifts, overtime, holidays and weekends
- The pay rate for this position is set by the union agreement and cannot be individually negotiated.
- Must have zero work related safety violations in the past two years
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and Federal Railroad Administration (FRA). Must practice safe work habits to prevent on the job accidents and injuries. Must utilize all protective equipment assigned
- Compliance with the applicable attendance policy is an essential function of this position
- Must be willing and able to work around large equipment such as railcars, locomotives and cranes
- Job applicants who have previously interviewed for this position regardless of geographical location can only reapply for this position after a period of six months has elapsed from the date of the interview
- Please apply only to those locations where you are prepared to live and work.
- Union Pacific is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that supports diversity in the workplace
Union Pacific - 16 months ago
Union Pacific Corporation (UPC) is engaged in the transportation business. The Company’s operating company, Union Pacific Railroad...