As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 21,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. General Dynamics Information Technology is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
The Application Engineer for the Regional Application Support Team (RAST) provides entry to intermediate level expertise in developing complex software applications involving new technologies, methods, concepts, and approaches. The Application Engineer must have a thorough understanding of the complete web application development process and be able to effectively contribute to that process. This position requires interaction and collaboration with both the customer and other development staff to develop user interface designs. A highly motivated individual committed to good programming practices is a must.
• Designs software tools and subsystems to support software reuse and domain analyses and manages their implementation
• Reviews existing programs and assists in making refinements, reducing operating time, and improving current techniques
• Responsible for program design, coding, testing, debugging, and documentation
• Estimate work duration (LOE) for input to project schedules
• Provide project status updates describing the state of assigned deliverables, accomplishments, and significant risk items
• Provides real time feedback during Joint Application Development (JAD) and Technical Working Group (TWG) sessions / meetings
• Research and investigate problems and develop viable solutions and/or workarounds; report findings and recommendations clearly and effectively to team
• Evaluates new and existing software products for implementation
• Work closely with team personnel and members of the user and broader technical communities to accomplish project objectives
• Participate in regular project meetings
• Adhere to OSC Policies, Procedures, and Practices affecting work products such as: Change Management, Configuration Management, Quality Assurance, and Information Assurance.
• Other duties as assigned
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience.
5-8 years of related software development experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Experience with ASP.NET development using C#, HTML, XML, CSS
• Experience with Adobe ColdFusion
• Visual Studio 2010, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat
• Familiarity with Microsoft SQL 2008/2012 databases (table design, SQL queries, stored procedures, and reporting services)
• Experience with Software Configuration Management tools (i.e. Subversion, Team Foundation Server)
• Knowledge of business information requirements analysis and systems design
• Knowledge of Windows 2008 operating systems
• Strong customer service skills
• Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills required
• Ability to work in individually and in a team environment
• Personal initiative, self-starter
• Commitment to quality
Beneficial Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to maintain flexible work hours (work hours are mostly consistent but necessitate flexible hours to roll changes to production during daily downtime window)
• Ability to travel occasionally (i.e. knowledge acquisition, JAD/RAD meetings, briefings, etc)
This position requires applicants to successfully complete the security application process with the intent of gaining a government granted security clearance AND receive a minimum Interim clearance, prior to starting.
Security Clearance Level
Security Clearance Basis
Security Clearance Polygraph
Job ID Number
Potential for Deployment
General Dynamics - IT - 13 months ago
General Dynamics Corporation (General Dynamics) offers a portfolio of products and services in business aviation; combat vehicles, weapons...