This position is under the classification of a Junior/Assistant level. Under the supervision of the Treasury Supervisor, the Junior/Assistant Financial Analyst will; perform treasury and debt analysis on billion dollar portfolios; evaluate current and historical data; Study economic and business trends; Study financial statements and analyze data. The job will include broad financial analysis including investment and debt reconciliations. Will be responsible for all the accounting within the treasury group. Will serve as the primary liaison to the Accounting groups on accounting related issues. Preparation of written reports and working in cooperation with other MTC and Bay Area Toll Authority (BATA) supervisory/managerial staff.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must have a basic understanding and:
- Principles and practices of treasury, investment management, budgeting, fund accounting, and financial forecasting;
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS);
- Applicable federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations including MTC's policies and procedures;
- Computerized financial reporting and transactions systems;
- Mathematic principles;
- Methods and techniques for record keeping, report preparation and writing;
- Proper English, spelling and grammar.
- Examine and verify financial documents, reports and transactions;
- Prepare a variety of budget, financial and banking statements, reports and analyses;
- Gather, organize, analyze and interpret financial data;
- Investigate, analyze and evaluate investment opportunities;
- Prepare detailed and complex investment reports;
- Perform mathematical calculations quickly and accurately;
- Follow written and oral directions;
- Interpret, explain and apply applicable laws, codes and regulations;
- Review and interpret legal documents;
- Use initiative, sound judgment and make decisions within established procedural guidelines;
- Keep accurate records;
- Work independently;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Education: Completion of a bachelor's degree from an accredited university, in an appropriate discipline, such as accounting, business administration, finance or a related field. (Applicants with a degree issued from an institution outside the United States must have their transcripts evaluated by an academic accrediting service and provide proof of equivalency along with the application.)
Experience: One to three years (within the last five years) of professional recent verifiable experience in treasury, debt management, financial analysis or similar field. Preference will be given to those candidates with more years of professional experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision and direction of the Treasury Manager, the Assistant Financial Analyst will perform the following duties:
Assist with management of cash and treasury activities for MTC's safekeeping, checking and trust accounts; perform financial analysis, make investments; perform accounting reconciliations and verify statements.
Assist with management of debt portfolio, including interest and fee payments, swap calculations and performing accounting reconciliations.
Assist with management of budget system, including budget input, ongoing budget adjustments, budget management and production.
Perform a variety of activities relating to the development of financial and statistical reporting, including accumulating, analyzing and tracking of investment transactions; prepare monthly cash flow projections and monthly investment report.
Evaluate market for investment opportunities; work with investors, brokers and bank personnel regarding investment activities.
Assist with reviewing and interpreting bond documents and maintain bond covenants.
Evaluate revenue and expense trends.
Assist with the calculations and distribution of interest earned.
Assist with the coordination of grant award, budget and receivable management programs.
Work with accounts payable and toll accounting on coordinating repetitive wires.
Assist with reviewing accounting entries and serve as primary liaison to accounting groups.
Assist with debt performance analysis and financial modeling
Provide support to year-end close and audit as well as financial reporting process.
Prepare and deliver financial presentations.
Conduct and/or participate in financial and policy-related special projects and studies.
Install, troubleshoot and operate various financial on-line systems and local database systems; record all investments in tracking system and serve as the primary technical liaison to outside parties and the Treasury group.
Establish a working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
Perform related duties as required.
Metropolitan Transportation Commission - 2 years ago
The Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) - www.mtc.ca.gov - is the transportation planning, financing and coordinating agency for...