GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
To assist the store manager and assistant manager with the day-to-day store operations and store
performance to meet or exceed budget while operating in compliance with company standards, policies
and procedures. Responsible for opening/closing store, daily bank deposits, keeping register stocked
with adequate change, addressing customer/donor needs/complaints in Assistant Manager's or Manager's
absence. Occasionally supervises store employees and temporary employees. May also supervise
community service workers and volunteers on a limited or as needed basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Occasionally supervises staff, giving them oral and written communications regarding work
performance as necessary. May have more supervisory responsibility if the manager or assistant
manager is absent or on vacation. Motivates employees to reach production guidelines. May assist with
conducting workplace orientations for new hires as needed. Ensures that all personnel files are
maintained in a secure manner.
2. Ensures proper customer service to all donors and customers. Assists in developing additional donors
for the store.
3. Monitors and controls the receiving, pricing, displaying and selling of store merchandise within price
ranges established by Goodwill management.
4. Adequately stocks and maintains interior and exterior of the store in an attractive manner. Ensures the
proper rotation of all store merchandise.
5. Uses cash register to total sales, accepts payments and authorizes voids, returns, exchanges and credit
for merchandise. Balances cash register receipts, prepares daily bank deposits and maintains records of
store transactions for each business day as scheduled. Ensures that correct sales reports are submitted on
a daily basis, as directed by the manager or assistant manager.
6. Participates in the store’s loss control by watching customers and employees and reporting suspicious
activity to the Loss Prevention Director. Ensures that items are not given away without authorization.
7. Initiates and completes personnel and payroll records in a timely manner as well as other paperwork
required in the day-to-day operations of the store, in the absence of the store manager and assistant
8. Ensures a clean and safe environment in the store, processing area and/or donation center by
practicing good housekeeping practices or delegating those tasks to store employees.
9. Keeps employees’ daily attendance records and forwards employees’ requests for absences and
vacations to the VP of Donated Goods, in the absence of the manager or assistant manager.
10. Regular attendance is required as outlined in Goodwill’s attendance policy.
11. Observes safety procedures and personnel policies and ensures compliance by employees,
community service workers, volunteers and trainees.
12. Acts as a positive role model for employees, trainees and customers in all respects of professional
13. Ensures the store is open and operational during designated hours of operation.
14. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
May involve occasional travel within the state of Arkansas. Frequent physical exertion and exposure to
unfit donated goods.
Excellent customer service skills
Teaching and Training abilities
Effective communication skills
Decision making ability
Must have a valid driver’s license and be insurable by the company’s insurance carrier.
Some computer knowledge a plus
Must be able to interact cordially and productively with a variety of people.
Must be able to market Goodwill and explain the mission to the general public.
Must be able to read, write and communicate clearly in English.
Must establish and maintain effective relationships with supervisors, employees, and co-workers, while
motivating them to their best performance.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule, on short notice, including holidays, nights and weekends and
frequently in excess of 40 hours a week.
Ability to function in a hectic work environment with occasional periods of high stress.
Must be able to take initiative and make decisions with little supervision.
Must observe and enforce safety policies in all phases of the operation.
Must have knowledge of fashionable women’s, children’s and men’s clothing as well as furniture and
Must be able to lift and carry objects weighing up to 35 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds
Must be able to stand and walk for a prolonged period and to frequently bend, stretch and stoop.
Must have reliable transportation.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is continuously required to stand; regularly
required to walk; and frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and
arms, talk or hear, taste or smell; occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or
crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds; frequently lift and/or move
up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision; and color vision.
High school, plus 2 years related experience and/or training, and 7 to 11 months related management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
ATTENTION ALL INTERESTED APPLICANTS:
- Applications will only be considered when submitted directly to Goodwill Industries of Arkansas.
- Visit www.GoodwillAR.org . to apply for this position. CLICK on the "WORK AT GOODWILL" link at the top of the page, CLICK on the current job opening you want to apply for and complete your application to be considered.
Goodwill Industries of Arkansas - 5 months ago