LEGAL COMPLIANCE SPECIALIST – |
The California Nurses Association/National Nurses United ("CNA/NNU") is seeking an experienced Compliance Specialist to oversee and/or advise the organization on all aspects of legal compliance including but not limited to: DOL and IRS reporting, Beck Notice preparation, Election law, PAC reporting, insurance procurement, 401(k) administration, and contract review.
CNA/NNU is the nation's largest union and professional association of direct care registered nurses, with more than 190,000 members in all 50 states.
The Compliance Specialist is housed within the Operations and Administration Division and reports directly to the National Director of Operations and Administration and works collaboratively and laterally with the Department heads within the division.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advise Accounting on preparation of the Unions' LM2s, 990s, Beck Notices, audits, and insurance procurement, including union liability insurance, etc.
- Work with Accounting, Government Relations, and outside law firms on advice and monitoring of the Unions' State and Federal PACs
- Advise Membership and Data Services on questions related to Beck Objectors, dues delinquencies, and terminations under union security clause
- Advise on all aspects of Governance related to the CNA/NNOC Bylaws and the NNU Constitution
- Oversee the legal requirements related to running elections, preparing for conventions, advising on Bylaws and Constitutional Amendments, Dues Policies, etc.
- Create and maintain record retention policies, in compliance with appropriate laws
- Review and edit contracts, leases, building acquisitions etc as needed
- Advise Human Resources on labor and employment law, staff union negotiations, 401(k) administration, workers compensation and health insurance procurement, etc.
- JD required, concentration in Social Justice and/or Labor Law a plus
- 5+ years of experience in Labor and Employment law, DOL and IRS regulations and reporting as pertains to Unions, Election law including PAC administration and a firm understanding of the laws governing union membership and dues collection including in "right to work" states
- Ability to work with administrative staff (both support staff and managerial) to translate complex legal concepts governing Unions into lay language and create easy to use reference guides and checklists
- Excellent problem solving skills, ability to think creatively and ability to maintain a focus on furthering the Union's mission for social justice for all while advising on discrete topics of compliance
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented
- Outstanding communication and personal interaction skills, and demonstrated strategic leadership abilities
- Ability to prioritize, juggle competing priorities, and shift focus on projects quickly and easily
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work under tight deadlines
- A belief in the importance of unions and a commitment to the core mission of the organization
CNA/NNU provides a very competitive salary and benefit package including full family and domestic partner coverage, medical, dental, pension and 401(k).
Please use link below to upload resume and cover letter. Please be sure to fill out the online application form.
CNA/NNU is a union whose members and leaders are predominantly women seeking to empower and improve the lives of working people. CNA/NNU is committed to Equal Opportunity, and to considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives, to apply.
idealist.org - 16 months ago