Under supervision and direction of a registered nurse, nurse practitioner, or physician, perform nursing duties within the scope of the Nurse Practice Act for vocational nursing in the care of patients in a hospital inpatient setting or outpatient clinic of a hospital, Public Health or Mental Health clinic; and do other work as required.
The Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) is not an independent practitioner. Licensed vocational nurses in this class have one or more years of experience working as an LVN. Per diem personnel are distinguished from regular employees in that they receive additional compensation in lieu of County fringe benefits and work assignments are flexibly scheduled or on an on-call basis.
Positions in this class are distinguished from the Licensed Vocational Nurse I - Per Diem level in that the latter perform work in clinic assignments with the Department of Mental Health, Community Health Agency or the Riverside County Regional Medical Center (RCRMC). Licensed Vocational Nurse II - Per Diem incumbents are either permanently assigned to work in an acute care assignment or they have full-time responsibility for directing and supervising staff and operations of a clinic. The Licensed Vocational Nurse II - Per Diem is distinguished from the class of Nursing Assistant - Per Diem in that a state license is required of incumbents assigned to the former class and they perform a more highly skilled form of patient care.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Provides nursing care to patients; prepares patients for physicians, registered nurses, physician assistants and nurse practitioners, and cares for patients during treatment; administers medications subcutaneously, intramuscularly, intradermally, subdermally, and/or orally; takes temperature, pulse, respiration and blood pressure of patients as necessary.
- Performs venipuncture, injections of medications including biological immunizations for pediatric and adults, including the provision of Tuberculin skin tests, Coccidioidin skin tests and Histoplasmin skin tests in the course of a tuberculosis control program.
- Applies and changes dressings and administers treatments including catheterizations, irrigations, and enemas; collects specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Assists physicians, mid-level providers and registered nurses in the administration of special treatments, examinations, and intravenous therapy; charts treatments and medications and maintains pertinent medical records according to policies and procedures, and established practice of the Nurse Practice Act for vocational nursing.
- Assists physicians, mid-level providers and registered nurses in the administration of medical records; assists in the data collection, preparation and implementation of patient care plans; participates in patient education and rehabilitation programs and documents data appropriately.
- Observes patients' condition and behavior, and reports significant changes to the supervisor; may participate in physical, occupational and group therapy programs.
- May act under supervision and direction of a physician, mid-level provider, or registered nurse as a team leader over nursing assistants, health services assistants, medical assistants, supportive services aides, licensed psychiatric technicians, or other licensed vocational nurses as assigned.
Experience: One or more years of experience working as an LVN in the care of patients in an acute care or clinic assignment.
Knowledge of: Current principles, techniques and procedures used in vocational nursing within the scope of the Nurse Practice Act for vocational nursing; medical terminology, acute care procedures and equipment; medication administration.
Ability to: Skillfully perform the full range of vocational nursing duties and responsibilities per the Nurse Practice Act; learn and follow policies and procedures; establish and maintain effective working relationships with physicians, mid-level providers, registered nurses, patients and co-workers; complete and maintain reports and patient records; make observations of situations accurately and report them so effective action can be taken according to rules of documentation and policies and procedures.
County of Riverside - 23 months ago