ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBIL IT IES:
- Rooms patients, takes and documents vital signs, reconciles medications and prepares patients for provider exam.
- Administers medication under physician’s direction and within the scope of practice.
- Contacts pharmacy with prescription refill prescriptions as prescribed by and under the direction of the physician.
- Follows directions given by supervisor.
- Performs diagnostic testing such as EKGs, audiograms, typanograms, spirometry, and visual screenings as instructed and completes all necessary paperwork.
- Assists providers with minor invasive procedures and cardiac stress testing by setting up equipment, assisting with patient preparation, and cleaning and storing equipment after exam. Completes all necessary paperwork.
- Maintains equipment (autoclaves, sterilizes, washes speculums, checks expiration dates, etc.)
- Cleans patient rooms as needed, including proper handling of dirty laundry.
- If LVN:
- Teaches and counsels patients and families concerning heath assessment and care including prevention of disease and health maintenance.
- Calls patients and informs of lab results.
- Accurately and completely reports and documents status, care rendered, response to care, provider orders, contacts with patient and/or other healthcare providers.
- Accurately and completely performs patient follow-up activities including laboratory results and diagnostics, appointments, referrals, medications, and call backs.
- Participates in the orientation of new employees.
- If Staff Medical Assistant:
- Provides patients with educational materials as directed.
- Calls patients and informs of normal lab results.
- Ensures laundry cart is stocked with fresh linens on a daily basis.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
- May post patient test results on the PTR line.
- May facilitate the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the immunization program.
- Ensures rooms are properly stocked, if needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Graduation from an accredited school of vocational nursing.
Experience: Previous experience in an ambulatory or acute care setting preferred.
Required Certificate/License: Current licensure as a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) in the State of Texas and current AHA approved Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) course completion card required. Will be required to maintain a current vocational nursing license and CPR certification during employment.
Staff Medical Assistant:
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Graduate of medical assistant program or military MA program preferred.
Experience: Must have 6 months experience either working as a Medical Assistant or working in a clinical care setting providing direct patient care beyond Activities of Daily Living (ADL).
Certificate/License: Certification preferred. Current AHA approved Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) course completion card required. Will be required to maintain a current CPR certification during employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Work Schedule: On an as needed basis (PRN) between Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm.
- Knowledge of all activities associated with the delivery of quality clinical practices and duties assigned to this role
- Skill in nursing and medical assistant practices within the scope of responsibilities assigned to this role
- Skill in organization and efficiency
- Excellent computer and keyboarding skills, including familiarity with Windows.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal & problem solving skills.
- Ability to manage multiple clinical activities simultaneously with frequent interruptions in a fast –paced environment
- Ability to have excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to handle competing priorities.
- If Medical Assistant:
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Knowledge of the scope of practice in the Medical Assistant role preferred
- Ability to administer medications & injections within scope of position within 90 days of hire.
Austin Regional Clinic - 23 months ago