Performs clerical and technical functions to ensure smooth workflow of the department, such as processing specimens, sending specimens to reference labs, giving results to physicians and/or nurses. Processes all types of body fluid specimens (blood, urine, CSF, tissue, etc). Assesses integrity, appropriateness, and labeling of specimens. Corrects or informs appropriate personnel of problems. Maintains adequate supplies. Performs clerical functions such as faxing, filing, obtaining/adding information from/to computer, answering telephone, etc. Operates/maintains equipment. In some areas may be required to perform specialized duties such as issuing blood, collecting blood, set-up of testing procedures, insurance verification or assisting with autopsies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
1. Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Assesses integrity, appropriateness, and labeling of specimens. Corrects or informs appropriate personnel.
5. Performs clerical functions such as faxing, filing, obtaining/adding information from/to computer, answering telephones to give out information, placing direct calls and/or receiving information.
6. Operates/maintains equipment such as centrifuges and pneumatic tubes.
7. Accessions specimens into computer in a timely manner.
8. Depending on section of the Laboratory:
Collects blood samples following established procedures and aseptic techniques.
Sets up specimens for testing, inoculates microbiology plates, performs preliminary phase of some testing.
Verify insurance and diagnosis code
Assists with autopsy, and preparing specimens for processing.
Issues blood and components to nursing personnel.
Processes specimens, and routes out to appropriate workstation.
Processes specimens to be sent out to reference labs.
Performs order entry for various types of specimens and processes admissions for different patient types, i.e. insurance, contract and self-pay.
9. Participates in Performance Improvement activities by participating in PI groups and giving input to enhance and improve operations.
10. Pursues resolution to problems (ie. inappropriate specimens, update status of specimens and to dialog to ensure proper usage of pneumatic tube) and communications/liaisons appropriately with health care providers.
11. Orients and trains personnel on new procedures and updates.
12. Maintains and monitors supplies and material management system.
13. Communicates responsibly to the Manager any issues or concerns. Assists the Manager and Send Out Coordinator with basic management functions such as scheduling lunches, breaks, in-service time, etc.
14. Volunteers to fill shift vacancies and accommodates schedule to meet department needs.
15. Works cooperatively with others, time permitting to accomplish other tasks as needed for the benefit of the Laboratory.
16. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS and demonstrated by:
a. Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
b. Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
c. Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Safety & Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
17. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
- Six months of experience in a laboratory or physician office or educational training in phlebotomy, healthcare field, or any related areas.
Education & Training:
- Completion of high school diploma or GED.
- Technical, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills relevant to area in order to effectively communicate with physicians, health team members, patients and families.
- Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision, in order to independently carry out the duties of the position.
- Able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Flexibility and initiative in workflow management
IASIS Healthcare - 15 months ago