To provide superior quality, competitive value and outstanding service by: Ensuring optimal support of laboratory testing activities through timely and accurat specimen collection. Processing customer requests (with the understanding that patients, visitors, all hospital staff, physicians and fellow co-workers are all our customers) and resolving customer issues in a fantastically friendly, courteous, professional and timely manner.Using all resources in the most efficient manner.
Understands and applies knowledge of test specimen requirements and utilizes available reference materials to ensure that all required specimens are collected and no omission errors or inadequate specimens result.
Uses care in performance of duties to avoid clerical errors at the points of registration or test order from Reference Lab Requisitions (errors: tests ordered under wrong account, tests ordered under wrong facility, tests ordered under wrong physician, wrong test ordered, or not ordering tests as indicated); as applicable.
Complies with policies/procedures/processes in the collection and processing of patient specimens and provision of patient services, including offsite phlebotomy services as applicable.
Meets collection turn-around-times >98% daily.
Performs venipunctures with < 3% recollects.
Performs blood culture collections with < 3% contamination rate.
Assures valid patient results as evidenced by zero patient or sample identification errors in the pre-analytical and post-analytical phases of laboratory procedures per evaluation period.
Understands and provides quality patient care by providing complete and accurate information on all collection materials (labeling errors during collection defined as: rejected specimen due to manual misspelling of patient name or rejected specimens due to missing required information).
Ensures the correct procedures are performed on the correct patient by verifying two forms of patient identification.
Verifies orders from the medical chart/requisition.
Verifies that the label (s) is ordered correctly and corresponds to the requisition, as applicable.
Practices aseptic and sterile techniques.
Meets safe driving requirements and maintains uncompromised specimen integrity during transporting of specimens via automobile, as applicable.
Adheres to Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals.
Reports all malfunctioning equipment (non-IT) to the BioMed department, fellow associates and management.
Reports all malfunctioning IT equipment (i.e., telephones, PC's, paper printers, etc.) to the IIT department, fellow associates and management.
Completes specified jobs/tasks by deadline and/or provides requested information in a timely and concise manner.
Maintains current BLS certification, American Medical Technologists or National Healthcare Certification and renews all applicable certifications before the expiration date in compliance with all renewal criteria; as applicable.
Communicates effectively with customers (patients, physicians, other Health First associates, the public, etc.) practicing excellent customer relation skills at all times while organizing and directing the daily medical assistant functions of the department.
Ensures that all exam rooms and equipment are stocked, cleaned, and ready for the next patient.
Communicates customer experiences to laboratory management in a timely manner.
Mentors co-workers and students technical development.
Ensures all test requests contain accurate information (specific exam requested matches order/requisition, correct ordering physician, appropriate medical necessity/diagnosis, etc.), or cancels incorrect test and reorders accurate test; as applicable.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid Drivers License, as applicable.
- Phlebotomy certification from an accredited national phlebotomy certification agency, OR certification from an accredited phlebotomy program requiring a minimum of 120 hours of course work, OR two years of phlebotomy experience, including geriatric and pediatric collections.
- EKG certification, as applicable
- Proficiency in the skills under Inpatient and Outpatient Phlebotomy preferred.
- Current AHA BLS certification or achieved prior to start date and maintain.
- Ability to prioritize and organize to maximize quality, value, service and productivity.
- Medical Terminology knowledge preferred.
- Strong computer skills.
- Willing and able to work with bio-hazardous/toxic materials following OSHA guidelines.
- Must be able to cover alternative shift to cover department when requested by Supervisor 2
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays.
- Knowledge of quality assurance policies.