GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES- Obtains, processes, and ships blood, tissue, and tumor samples from patients enrolled on clinical trials.
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Obtain blood samples from patients enrolled on clinical trials at SCCC
- Process pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic samples according to instructions provided by study sponsor.
- Prepare study supplies/source documents necessary for obtaining pharmacology samples prior to patient treatment.
- Accompany patient to interventional radiology or surgeon's office to retrieve tumor biopsy sample. Prepare tumor biopsy as requested by study sponsor (this may require interacting with pathology department at CMC to have sample embedded in paraffin block).
- Communicate with research nurses at CMC and all satellite clinics regarding lab kits required for research studies. Make sure kits are being submitted to various central laboratories appropriately.
- When necessary attend start-up meetings with lab kit components or meet with sponsor representatives to discuss lab kit handling procedure.
- Maintain accurate records of sample acquisition and shipping. All PK samples must have source documents available in patient charts that are accurate and complete. Records will also be kept with study files.
- Maintain freezer/refrigerator temperature logs.
- Make sure PK/PD supplies for all active studies are adequate and that all supplies are in date. Make sure all supplies are clearly labeled for study.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and workspace.
- Obtain dry ice from Continental Carbonics.
- Notify courier of any sample shipments. If too late for courier, be available for make arrangements to drop samples at FedEx, Airborne, etc. if necessary.
- Make sure there is a lab study manual for each study and that instructions for obtaining/processing samples are clearly outlined in manual.
- Assist with process of obtaining archived tumor biopsies and sending/retrieving to/from study sponsor or contract lab.
- Interface with CMC laboratory personnel regarding labs for research patients.
- Capable of working flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to respond to queries generated from study sponsor or contract lab regarding patient/sample data.
- Willing to assist other clinic personnel in clinic management when asked.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Practice and adhere to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement."
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Proven ability to multi-task in fast paced environment is essential.
- Knowledge of organization policies, procedures systems.
- Knowledge of OSHA requirements for safe handling of blood and body fluids.
- Skill in computer applications.
- Skill in verbal and written communication.
- Skill in gathering and reporting information.
- Skill in venipuncture and blood processing.
- Ability to work effectively with staff, and other internal and external sponsor and agencies.
- High school diploma.
- Medical laboratory related coursework.
- Clinical laboratory and phlebotomy experience.
HCA Inc - 14 months ago