Laboratory Coordinator / Instructor
Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
Negotiable Based on Experience (No less than $45,000)
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
The Laboratory Coordinator/Instructor will coordinate introductory physics labs; supervise a demonstration team that supports introductory physics lectures; assist in the outreach activities of the department; teach an introductory course.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Participate in orientation of new teaching assistants, including safety training.
2. Train graduate teaching assistants in the operation of equipment, emphasizing potential problems and solutions.
3. Supervise teaching assistants in laboratory courses ensuring safe and functional operation in a timely manner.
4. Respond to inquiries regarding laboratory operations (equipment, enrollment, curriculum).
5. Assist faculty members in the acquisition, design, and construction of laboratory and lecture equipment.
6. Provide technical oversight of equipment in the instructional laboratories while ensuring safe practices and compliance with all applicable university, federal, state, and local safety and environmental regulations.
7. Perform written assessment of one or more classroom laboratories.
8. Attend professional meetings as required.
9. Monitor equipment expenditures and student salaries as advisory to department chair.
10. Demonstrate excellence in teaching and leadership in education.
11. Assist in the development of teaching methods and procedures that have substantial impact within the department/college and across the University.
12. Work non-standard hours as required.
13. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : Supervision may be exercised over demonstration/laboratory associate and student assistants.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
Master’s degree in physics or related field.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
Two years of experience in teaching introductory physics, including laboratory courses.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Demonstrated broad-based experience with computers, including lab data acquisition software and learning management systems.
Demonstrated team leadership and/or project management experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures manuals.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse group of individuals.
Demonstrated ability to solve problems and make decisions with limited supervision.
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from clients, customers, and the general public.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
PHYSICAL DEMANDS : While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and walk; sit, talk, or hear; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls and teach with hands arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb and balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT : While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock and occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Posting Detail Information
Internal & External Posting
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Your reference list should include contact information for three (3) references.
Michigan Technological University - 16 months ago
Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university has...