Ke`aki Technologies, LLC, headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaii, is a Native Hawaiian Organization (NHO) owned business. A premier government services company, Ke`aki Technologies offers a full spectrum of solutions that improve the performance and operational effectiveness of our government and Department of Defense customers. Our mission synchronized solutions are designed to deliver exactly what our customers need, when they need it. From base and range operations to biomedical defense support to telecommunications and IT services, we deliver the exact talent, tools and technologies needed to meet mission requirements.
Ke`aki Technologies has an exciting opportunity for a Laboratory Technician. The position will be located at U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Chemical Defense (USAMRICD) at the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Chemical Defense (USAMRICD) in Edgewood, Maryland.
The U.S. Army Medical Research Institute for Chemical Defense (USAMRICD) vision is to be the recognized Center of Excellence, the national asset, and the world leader for medical chemical defense research, education, and training. USAMRICD has created a vision to be a laboratory confident of its place in the world, a clearly recognized leader in medical chemical defense research and training in the medical management of chemical casualties, a lab that continues to advance quality medical products and information capable of alleviating the suffering caused by chemical weapons, a lab that is a desired place of work for all.
For the execution of these projects, we require a lead technician and lab manager with experience in neat research chemical agent (NRCA) operations, high throughput screening, molecular and cellular biology techniques (cell culture, siRNA, qRT-PCR, RNA/DNA isolation and analysis, multiplex cytokine analysis, etc.), high content analysis (HCA), animal techniques (handling, restraint, injections, anesthesia, and surgery), ocular slit lamp examination, compound light and fluorescence microscopy, and histological techniques to carry out this project. Experience with data analysis software (such as GraphPad Prism), HCA data analysis software (in particular Cellomics ArrayScan VTI software), Bio-Plex Manager and Data Pro software is required. Experience with Ingenuity Pathway Analysis is preferred. Experience in supply and equipment ordering, coordination of lab equipment maintenance, and maintenance of inventories is required. Experience with reference management software (i.e. Endnotes) preferred. Ability to work independently or with others required. Ability to troubleshoot assays is required.
The requested work will directly support the mission of the Research Division by providing expertise in the area of ocular toxicity of vesicant agents, and in the screening and evaluation of potential therapeutic countermeasures against vesicants in small animals.
The research project in which the Laboratory Technician will participate is an in vitro to in vivo screening paradigm for the identification and validation of therapeutic agents for ocular vesicant injury. Ocular in vitro models for mechanistic high throughput siRNA screening will be developed and validated. A siRNA target screening library is assembled from transcription profile data. The siRNA library is screened using high throughput manner using a strategy of primary screening followed by library deconvolution. Down-selected targets are then validated in the in vitro models using drugs, small molecules, and/or siRNA. Toxicity screening is performed to eliminate lead targets with undesirable effects early. In vitro validated targets are then validated in vivo in small animal models of ocular vesicant injury. Target efficacy in animals is assessed by clinical evaluations including slit lamp microscopy and histopathology. Inflammatory and other markers of injury and pathology are also assessed by in situ assays.
- Must have a master’s and bachelor’s degree in biotechnology, cellular biology, molecular biology or related fields.
- Must be certified as a NRCA operator.
- They must also have completed a HCA new user training course.
- Must be familiar with preparation of chemical solutions and biological sample collection and processing.
- Must have experience with rodent surgical techniques.
- Perform all techniques listed above (HCA, cell culture, slit lamp microscopy, etc.) and collect and analyze data.
- Design assays, schedule and coordinate laboratory work, and execute research tasks.
- Order supplies and equipment (obtain pricing and quotes, prepare purchase requests, and maintain log of expenditures).
- Prepare figures for posters, manuscripts, and presentations.
- Maintain literature data base of relevant scientific articles.
- Assist in the training and mentoring of laboratory personnel.
- Assist in the performance of inventories and inspections..
- Periodic oral updates as required by the COR.
- A monthly status report in written outline format. The report will include progress and goals of the following month.
- A final report summarizing the work performed, results and conclusions shall be prepared at the end of the period of performance.
- Scientific papers resulting from this contract will be cleared for publication using established procedures at USAMRICD.
- Must also be capable of learning the additional skills needed as necessary for the execution of the research project(s).
- Should also have demonstrated knowledge of basic computer programs (i.e., word processing, spreadsheets, and reference management programs) and have the capacity to learn specialized computer programs for collection of behavioral data.
- Must be capable of learning to use various software packages that are designed for various laboratory instruments and data analysis.
BACKGROUND CHECK: National Agency Check Local Agency Check (NACLAC)
JOB TYPE: Full-Time
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Ke`aki Technologies LLC is a fast growing government service provider with over $59 million in revenue in 2011. Employees enjoy competitive salaries; a 401K plan with company match; medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage; tuition reimbursement; paid vacation and sick time; and 10 paid holidays. Ke`aki Technologies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
For additional information on Ke`aki Technologies, LLC, please visit www.keakitech.com
Ke`aki Technologies, LLC is proud to be an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action Employer (EEO/AA).