Outsell, Inc. is looking for a Lead Architect/Developer to develop and maintain a series of web-based applications and databases that automate our internal processes and open up our existing, internal data assets to our clients. Outsell’s development is done mostly using Ruby on Rails and mySQL. We also develop mobile applications for the iPad using jQuery, PhoneGap and REST-based APIs. We create applications using agile practices with cross-functional teams and are focused on quickly delivering high-quality, user-centric applications. The successful candidate will bring value to Outsell by owning existing applications and creating new ones that support the growth and evolution of the business.
We are looking for a strong lead developer and seasoned professional with previous experience in a developer position I fast-paced environment as well as knowledge and experience in database development, and web applications. Experience must include developing web-based database applications, ideally for commercial/market use, SQL applications development, and development of web-based applications including XML technology.
Application Development Planning
- Develop & maintain sprint backlog following agile practices for development throughout year
- Evaluate and select technologies for use in application development
- Hire and manage developers and application development staff
- Evaluate, select and manage vendors needed for application development
- Provide periodic updates on the state of application development
- Design wireframes, screen flows, and mock-ups for future application needs
- Implement screens using HTML and CSS along with management of graphic elements
- Support creation of HTML for new page designs and email campaigns
- Use source code control (Mercurial) and task management system (Redmine) to follow software engineering best practices
- Build packaged applications (iOS) and submit vendor application stores for distribution
- Deploy updated code in a controlled and trackable manner to production web site
Server Infrastructure Management
- Answer questions from clients and employees about how applications work
- Fix bugs when found
- Monitor application for errors and address when alerted
- Create documentation for end-users
- Monitor and resolve errors in databases
- Monitor and resolve errors on application server
- Maintain development and staging systems for application
Qualifications & Experience
- Must have 5-7 years’ experience in an IS/IT function as an applications developer.
- The candidate should possess strong technical knowledge in applications development, systems, and web-based applications. Experience must include the design and construction of relational databases.
- Must be able to understand the big picture and to outline and grasp the details needed to implement both internal and customer-facing applications.
- Must have knowledge of modern software engineering techniques including use of source code control systems and tracking of requirements and defects.
- Must be team-oriented, flexible, and able to work both independently and collaboratively in a firm whose team is largely in home-based office environments. Ideal candidate is an entrepreneurial self-starter with a can-do orientation, who identifies smart, creative methods to complete complex tasks with minimal effort.
- Must have a BA/BS in information systems, business or software design.
- Ability to work with Ruby on Rails and mySQL.
- Knowledge of mobile development techniques for responsive design including technologies like jQuery, PhoneGap and iOS development.
- Must be a proven leader — able to own a process, express ideas clearly and logically, meet deadlines, and work effectively under pressure.
- Creativity, curiosity, self-motivation, and perseverance are also essential.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required, as well as demonstrated critical thinking and organizational skills.
It is important that the successful candidate reflect Outsell's core values:
At Outsell, we strive to delight our clients and provide a " wow ” experience whenever possible. In all things we do, we attempt to achieve win-win-win outcomes through:
Service. We are client-centered, good listeners, easy to do business with, and focused on high-touch relationships.
Innovation and creativity. We are can-do, agile, and embrace change.
Integrity. We are honest, ethical, and direct in all of our dealings.
Accountability. We say what we’ll do, do what we say, and do the right thing.
Results. We are committed to helping our clients achieve high-quality, actionable results.
Influence. We are a trusted advisor and unbiased thought-leader.
Teamwork. We collaborate with our clients and each other.
Fun, freedom and family. We get the job done on a schedule that works for each of us, our clients, and our colleagues.
Kaizen. We are always learning and improving.
Commitment. We are stewards of what we stand for, focused on running a financially healthy business while being active citizens in the world.