Job Title: |
Lead Communications Strategist / Writer
New York, NY
As MetLife strives to become a truly world-class, more customer-centric business, working as One MetLife around the world, it is an exciting time to be part of the Global Communications team.
In Global Communications, we have a vital role to play in ensuring this success, helping MetLife build and protect a compelling, consistent, coherent global reputation and engaging a wide range of stakeholders both externally and internally.
This is a transformational time for Global Communications as we:
- In order to fulfill this role, we are transforming ourselves as a proactive, strategic, global function that has a seat at the table with the business.
- Our goal is to align and energize MetLife employees to support the company's strategy and tell an engaging MetLife story in a way that increases the receptivity of our external.
- Align ourselves with MetLife’s global structure and operating model.
- Shift the way we operate from tactical to strategic and proactive.
- Strive to become world class as we build communications and operational capability to function globally.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Lead Communications Strategist will be the lead speechwriter for senior leaders within the organization, focused on a variety of speeches, presentations and other written materials – including key note addresses, video scripts, written communications to employees and external stakeholders, panel remarks, etc. This position will also work across Global Communications, partnering with a variety of people outside the function – including senior leadership, as well as acting as a resource for other key leaders and Global Communications colleagues. This role will have high visibility and exposure to senior leadership, with the opportunity to showcase your writing capabilities and versatility.
This individual must have a keen ear for capturing voice – tone and content – as well as a deep understanding of audience and stakeholders, operating across a global organization. He/she also has the ability to lead teams of communicators on cross-functional projects and interact with individuals outside Global Communications who provide communication support to leaders.
- Develop executive communications, including external speaking engagements – meeting presentations, multimedia, scripts, key messages, talking points and executive perspectives.
- Support executive media relations engagements and external speeches that have media relations opportunities.
- Participate in the creation of executive presentations to the investor community – partnering with other members of the External Communications team.
- Partner with appropriate senior leaders – including chief of staffs, as needed – to inform and provide perspective to executive communication efforts,
- Develop, manage and execute Executive Visibility Program for key executives, including identifying speaking opportunities.
- Proactively seek external speaking engagements and recognition for executives, functional leaders and other key leaders.
- Provide writing support as subject matter expert to other areas of Global Communications, as needed.
- Participate in the writing submission of nominations for corporate recognition – company and individuals.
- At least 10 years of experience in communications, with a focus on speechwriting and leadership communications.
- Excellent writing skills, including experience in creating, writing, editing, proof reading within a professional organization.
- Media relations skills; previous external public relations experience preferred.
- Agency experience desirable.
- Strong project management skills.
- Previous financial services industry experience and knowledge helpful.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility and build productive relationships across the organization.
- Recognized as a team player who willingly shares knowledge and information with others
- Exercises sound judgment as a communications professional.
- Produces high-quality work at a professional communications level.
- Strong proficiency in written skills and ability to explain concepts and make them relevant to the audience.
- Strong work ethic.
Degree in Communications, Journalism, English or equivalent, relevant experience.
Global Brand, Marketing & Communication
Number of Openings
Equal Employment Opportunity
MetLife is proud to be an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.
How To Apply
For immediate consideration, click on the Apply Now button below. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile which may take 15 – 20 minutes to complete. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
MetLife - 16 months ago
The breadth of careers at MetLife offers unlimited possibilities for your professional life. More than life insurance. Much more. MetLife is...