Why work for Trulia?
Engineering gets respect.
We use the phrase "we're a tech company that does real estate" to emphasize how important engineering is to the company. Engineering is the department that drives our apps, tools, data, and interfaces forward. This attitude comes not only from engineers, but from our CEO and senior management. They believe in us.
We have awesome problems to solve.
The housing market provides a fantastic blend of problems. We need creative people to help us combine the data about every address in America with the soft side of helping people find a home that makes them feel safe, happy, and comfortable.
Stability is wonderful.
We're that rare company that holds the culture of its startup roots, while blending in the sanity of a regular work schedule with an appreciation of work/life/family harmony. We know that work and other parts of life aren’t always balanced, and think that’s okay. We built and foster innovative practices like untracked time off and flexible working arrangements to accommodate reality. It’s like this because we care, and worked hard to make it this way.
What you’ll work on:
- You’ll be technical lead of the team responsible for Trulia’s search experience, Trulia’s bread and butter. Your work will impact millions of people ( >35M monthly unique visitors in Q3) looking for a new home on Trulia.
- You’ll contribute to Trulia’s awesome, employee-centric team, managing the team of developers who work on the core search experience, and mentoring developers across all teams.
- You’ll join forces with other engineering leads to achieve great things, including site-wide refactoring projects, bottom-up performance planning, enumerating and prioritizing engineering goals, and more.
What you'll work with:
- You're a great person that naturally collaborates, listens, and cares about treating people fairly.
- You live to break down and solve complex problems by creating practical, maintainable, and scalable solutions.
- You have senior-level development experience working at scale, preferably with PHP.
- You enjoy motivating and mentoring talented engineers, and can easily navigate trade-offs between functionality, complexity and time.
- You love making websites fast.
Our base web stack is LAMP, but that rides on top of Solr/Lucene, Hadoop, Memcache, Python, Couchbase, Open Street Maps, and more. On the client-side, we use jQuery & Backbone, and JS libraries like d3.js, Raphael.js, and Google Maps to make awesome products. We’ve worked with OOCSS expert Nicole Sullivan to build Trulia Experience Language, a CSS component library built with SASS, and open-sourced the inline documentation system we built for it, Hologram. (Check it out on Github.) We use Git. We love code reviews.
If there's something that's a good idea for the team, we'll do our best to implement it.
How we work:
The engineering team is broken into small teams of 2-5, so each can focus on specific projects and initiatives. We work closely with product managers, designers, and QA, iterating and shipping as quickly. We release weekly; new features are always under development, and development often spans multiple weeks. We’re not satisfied with that, however, so we’re moving towards a continuous deployment system.
We love QA, from developers and PMs to our crackerjack QA team, whose automated and functional testing catches bugs before we ship. Organizationally, we're pretty flat, and try to keep it that way: you'll have a mentor with whom you'll have weekly 1-on-1 meetings, to review code, exchange ideas, and ensure we're doing everything we can for you to thrive in your role.
- 'Innovation Week' every quarter
- People you're happy to see every day
- All IDEs welcome
- Aeron chairs
- Penthouse roof deck
- Stocked kitchens and two kegerators
- Great benefits (untracked time off, variety of health plans, 401k match)
Trulia - 14 months ago
Trulia’s close-knit teams of energized & happy brainiacs creatively help people make smarter real estate decisions. This is an...