Are you passionate about writing outstanding code? Do you love working on products that users rave about? Do you thrive in an environment where creativity is at its finest? Do you enjoy tackling hard problems and have a track record delivering results? We are looking for a talented, driven and experienced Developer who is looking for an opportunity to team up with other programming experts in an exciting and growing company. The ideal candidate will have a can-do attitude, passion for technology, and extensive Java, Perl, or PHP development experience. So if you are interested in building applications used by millions of people then Synacor is the place for you!
The Lead Engineer, Search & Advertising will have extensive experience working under a Linux environment with web application experience utilizing PHP, Java, and Perl. Working independently; this Lead Engineer will apply expertise towards the development and maintenance of highly scalable services that fuel Synacor’s Search and Advertising objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Education, Experience and Skills:
- Enhance performance of Search Engine Results Page
- Development, documentation, and maintenance of cutting edge web-based applications in our portal and premium service platforms
- Develop and maintain applications using standard development tools
- Providing technical consultation and expertise to Product Managers and other Synacor staff members
- Writing technical and non-technical specifications and the documentation of procedures
- Reviewing Product requirement documents as well as participating in integration calls with our partners
- Effectively communicate task progress, analysis, recommendations, schedules, as well as technical and process issues and their resolution to a wide variety of customers ranging from senior managers to other technical personnel
- Responsible for the analysis, design, development and support of application systems
- Maintain clear and complete documentation
- Other duties as assigned
What we’ll bring to the table:
- A minimum of 6-8 years development experience in software or website development; proven experience developing large-scale database-driven applications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or the equivalent work experience
- Knowledge of Search & Banner ads on the internet
- Strong skill and in-depth knowledge of PHP, Perl or Java with specialized depth and/or breadth of expertise in specialized areas
- Ability to solve unique and complex problems that have a broad impact on the business
- Ability to Interpret internal or external business issues and recommends best practices
- Experience with HTML
- Experience with MySQL or equivalent
- Familiar with Unix/Linux use, scripting and tools
- Knowledge of XML, SOAP and AJAX highly desirable
- Familiarity with revision control software
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to collaborate
Synacor is not your typical 9 to 5 workplace. Our award winning culture doesn’t stop at flexible work hours and 25 cent vending machines. Jeans and t-shirts are typical office attire, even for the executives. Teamwork is an everyday occurrence, and is made easy with our new open workspaces. Our leadership team understands that the best results come from collaboration, so we hire the best and brightest and then let them do what they do best: create cutting-edge products and provide exemplary customer service. Synacor's headquarters is located along Buffalo's waterfront in the Erie Basin Marina. Taking a few minutes to enjoy the serenity of nature is as easy as walking 1,000 feet or so to the water. We even have a lakefront gazebo with wi-fi connection! And if that’s not enough, Synacor pays 100% of health care premiums for employees AND dependents, offers stock option participation, a healthy bonus potential and a very generous paid time off policy. Working with some of the largest cable, telecom and satellite providers, Synacor’s products and online services reach over 25 million high-speed Internet subscribers worldwide. We are looking for great people to join our team and be given the freedom to do the work they were hired to do.
- 100% Company paid benefits (health, dental, vision) for all employees and eligible dependents
- Competitive compensation package, including stock option grants (for eligible positions)
- Award winning company culture
- Casual dress and flexible environment
- Generous paid time off
- Extensive learning and training opportunities: internal training sessions, innovation fests, and much more
- 25 cent vending machines
- Free Spot coffee, popcorn and cappuccino
- Monthly company connections (get to know your co-workers)
- The opportunity to make a difference!
Synacor is not your typical 9 to 5 workplace. Our award winning culture doesn’t stop at flexible work hours and 25 cent vending...