Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention (NCHHSTP), Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention (DHAP), Prevention Communications Branch (PCB) in Atlanta, Georgia.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-M3-13-803960 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Who May Apply: Open to all United States Citizens.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
U.S. Citizenship is required.
Background investigation required.
DUTIES: Back to top
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a team leader for partnerships, planning, and policy activities in an organizational unit at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The incumbent (1) acts as a senior advisor to organizations leadership team on matters related to strategic direction for national partnership programs as well as on the status and impact of policies to influence that direction; (2) provides leadership and direction for the development and maintenance of partnerships initiatives to advance the mission of the team, branch, division, center, and/or coordinating center, and plans, directs, and coordinates national progress on issues related to public health; (3) is responsible for the development of all visible and influential statements regarding partnership program policy, goals, and direction (including the development of new budget initiatives) and ensuring that these positions are consistent with the organizations mission and long and short-term goals; and (4) coordinates the development and maintenance of the organizations strategic plan, including outcome targets (goals), objectives, and strategies.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Back to top
Specialized Experience: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service.
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position such as, evaluating and analyzing complex public health programs and policies to advise management on public health policies, operations, products, and services that contribute to the improvement of public health programs; building strategic partnerships and community mobilization efforts in-line with division and agency priorities; conducting policy analysis and representing public health programs or policies to national partners, community based organizations, Health Departments and representatives of other government agencies local governments/private industry/academia/and the social and civic community.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees . Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
8. Bargaining Unit Position: No
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Travel required with position: None
11. Recruitment Bonus may be authorized: No
12. Research position: No
13. Promotion potential: No
14. Supervisory position: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
1. Knowledge of a wide range of qualitative and/or quantitative methods for the assessment and improvement of program effectiveness.
2. Ability to plan, manage and coordinate health communication and marketing program activities related to HIV/AIDS prevention.
3. Knowledge of team management techniques to plan, organize, and direct multi-disciplinary project teams and activities.
4. Skill in oral communication.
5. Skill in written communication.
BENEFITS: Back to top
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at http://www.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits#icc .
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/Veterans .
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov ).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.