The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for Lead Software Engineer - Drupal in our IT/Delivery Services organization, who will be resident in our Reston, VA office.
The Lead Software Engineer - Drupal will be a senior member on the Web Technology and Content Management team, responsible for guiding and mentoring College Board engineers in web design and development. The successful candidate will be a seasoned software engineer with extensive knowledge and experience in service design and development for highly scalable distributed systems.
The candidate will lead by interacting with architects, project managers, and software engineers to establish and enforce Web technology standards, design patterns, process, development, and deployment across the College Board.
Successful candidates will have a comprehensive knowledge and experience with industry best practices in Web development field, service development and delivery, web front-end and back-end development tools and techniques, software security, a proven ability to integrate large scale systems or third party products; and a track record of delivering high-quality, web-based business solutions in a timely and effective manner.
- Technical, guidance, and direction for all members of the application development team, assuring standards and best practices are met.
- Works with other members of college and lead to establish the Web Architectural Standards and Patterns within the College Board.
- Supports development teams with design, implementation, testing, deployment, and operations for new and legacy services including the definition / revision of service contracts and SLA’s.
- Enforces service policy, web technology standards and coding standards.
- Provides technical and thought leadership in support of The College Board with service standards, Web technology standards realization through service pattern development, technical mentorship, service development, developer training, and task management using a continuous delivery model.
- Drives continuous improvement of software development processes and tools to improve software quality and team efficiency.
- Ensures software platforms stay current and co-ordinates with shared services as necessary to keep platforms up to date
- Develops and maintains a thorough understanding of the business processes of supported products and applications, and works with the customers and various stakeholders to develop cost effective, elegant solutions to business problems
- Ensures that continuous integration is performed on the application source code and constantly seeks to enhance the continuous integration methods of the development team to ensure extremely high quality of code.
- Develops increasing expertise in key software development and system implementation technologies. Develops experience and expertise in problem definition, requirements analysis and the general design of systems.
- Assist in maintaining all system administration, development and support documentation, including current product level release notes.
- Assists with the planning, requirement analysis, and testing of all system patches and upgrades.
- Supports production issues and activities, as necessary, by researching, analyzing issues, and identifying and/or delivering solutions.
- Gather feedback from design and technical staff on application development needs and patterns. Must be able to work with Enterprise Architecture group to propose and solicit approval of new architectural patterns including documentation and presentation of the architectural approach, benefits/limitations and other considerations (e.g. re-usability, security, performance, maintainability, etc.).
Bachelor’s degree required.
Seven + years of directly-related work experience in a professional position in software development or a related field.
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
This position will be subject to a background check.
- Minimum 7+ years’ experience in web development preferable with 5+ in Drupal
- Expert-level understanding of the PHP programming language, related optimization techniques, and design patterns.
- Expert-level understanding of the Drupal and Drupal API of version 6.x and 7.x
- Expert-level understanding of LAMP system environment.
- Familiarity with Acquia cloud solution.
- Familiarity with Configuration Management toolsets
- A strong understanding of common service implementation technologies such as: SOAP, REST, XML, JSON, and dependency management.
- Must have deep knowledge of PHP, Drupal, , SQL/PL-SQL
- Test-driven development and continuous integration experience is preferred
- Experience working in an iterative development environment (familiarity with RUP and/or Agile/Scrum is a plus)
- Familiar with Continuous Delivery and its tools pipeline.
- Familiar with tools i.e. Jenkins, SVN, Artifactory, Jira/Fisheye/Cruciable/confluence etc.
- Experience in establishing software development guidelines and in performing code and design reviews
- Experience in documenting design and architecture artifacts and presenting artifacts for architectural review
- Effective communication skills are a must along with a strong customer service orientation, and the ability to clearly discern client needs.
- Ability to effectively coordinate multiple responsibilities simultaneously, with fast, flexible work style.
- Passion for staying abreast of new/emerging technologies, tools, platforms and API's.
- Strong and evolving competence in several programming languages and technologies, mastery of one or more tools sets, technologies and implementation environments.
- Understanding of modern software engineering principles and practices as well as modern/Web 2.0/3.0 tools and frameworks.
- Strong problem solving and analytic skills.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
If you are interested in joining the College Board and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to APPLY by following the link below to send us your resume and a brief introductory cover letter that includes salary expectations.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.
The College Board - 4 months ago
From dunce to dean's list, there are three letters every high school student must learn: S, A, and T (those on the dean's list...