SC Johnson Overview
SC Johnson is one of the world’s leading makers of household brands. The company has operations in more than 70 countries and sells products in virtually every country around the world. Its product portfolio includes global brands such as Pledge®, Duck®, Mr. Muscle®, Windex®, Scrubbing Bubbles®, Glade®, Raid®, OFF!®, Baygon® and Ziploc®.
The company has been making great products for more than 125 years and the same family that started the company still owns and runs it today. For over a century, spanning five generations, the Johnson family has demanded the best for families everywhere. Many of SC Johnson’s products have been, and remain, top sellers in their market categories.
Over the years, SC Johnson has established a long legacy of environmental responsibility, community leadership, innovation and being a great place to work. In 2010, the company was named the fourth most innovative company in the consumer products category on Fast Company magazine’s annual Most Innovative Companies list. Additionally, the company was named to Fortune Magazine’s “100 Best Places to Work” list, and Working Mother magazine regularly recognizes it as one of the 100 best companies for working mothers.
SC Johnson’s OFF® and Raid® products offer pest control solutions to customers. SC Johnson’s Pest Control Research, Development & Engineering division continues to provide innovate new products and experiences under these brands.
Work on the technical development of new formulations for Global Pest Control RD&E in support of OFF and Raid brands. The scientist will develop new products, line extensions and lead technology advancements which result in consumer preferred benefits and/or improve the environmental impact of the products. Working with multiple product types and the ability to translate user needs into consumer preferred solutions is an important aspect of the product development process for the global Pest Control brands. The incumbent will participate on cross-functional teams.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Working with and assist other scientists.
- Formulating products from concept to completion.
- Understanding the functional properties, proper use, and the environmental impact of ingredients.
- Writing and/or reviewing procedures, protocols and specifications needed to support product development activities.
- Developing and/or performing all testing requirements on new formulas and packages.
- Interacting closely with marketing and consumers to research and identify critical product attributes.
- Assisting in the interpretation of consumer test results and providing recommendations for product improvements and claims.
- Ensuring the maintenance and/or adherence to good laboratory practices and all safety regulations.
- Exploring new technologies and materials, which may have application for product lines
Specific skills required:
- Ability to create detailed formula specifications.
- Ability to design experiments to evaluate the performance attributes of products.
- Scientific curiosity and the ability to solve technical problems related to formulation and manufacturing.
- Strong cross-functional teaming skills and the ability to effectively work across internal organizational boundaries.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate concisely.
- Highly proactive and results-oriented approach.
- Strengthens the RD&E organization by contributing innovative ideas, expertise, knowledge, high professional standards, team spirit and pride in the Company
- Proficient computer skills; will be required to become competent in the use of PLM (SAP based product management system).
- Minimum - Bachelor of Science degree. BS in Chemistry preferred.
- 5-10 years of related professional experience.
- The ability/aptitude to direct the efforts of external vendors and consultants is preferred.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
S.C.Johnson & Son - 12 months ago
Pleasant Prairie, WI
- 30+ days ago