(Social Sciences Librarian )
Appointment: Lecturer, full-time, 12 month, term, Non-Tenure-Track
Available: July 1, 2013
Environment: Library Affairs provides comprehensive library services to the Southern Illinois University Carbondale population of 18,500 students in beautiful Southern Illinois. Morris Library, the primary
facility, was completely renovated and reopened in 2009. The building currently features over 200 computers, laptops to borrow, 14 study rooms, and two computer classrooms. Two additional floors that will feature highly flexible, technology-rich, collaborative spaces are under construction and will open in 2014. The building houses nearly three million volumes, three and a half million microforms, and 43,000 currently-received periodicals and serials, as well as strong collections of online databases, maps, films, DVDs, and sound recordings. Morris Library is a selective U.S. Federal Depository Library and an Illinois State Depository Library. As the center for academic support services on campus, Morris Library hosts SalukiTech (technology and computer support), the University Honors Program, the Writing Center, Learning Support Services, Testing Lab, Math Lab, and Center for Teaching Excellence. Morris Library is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, Coalition for Networked Information, Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois, Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition, and Greater Western Library Alliance. Librarians at SIU Carbondale are faculty and are covered by collective bargaining.
Responsibilities: Under the general direction of the Associate Dean for Information Services and responsive to input from the Dean of Library Affairs, the Social Sciences Librarian provides reference, instruction, liaison, collection development, outreach, and general library services to the University community. Specific responsibilities include:
- Assists patrons at the Information Desk with research and reference questions, including limited nights and weekends. Provides general reference service via face-to-face, online, email, chat, phone, and consultation means.
- Instructs students and faculty in the use of library resources and technologies, as well as in information access, evaluation, and management in face-to-face and online settings as appropriate. Assists in the development of instructional curricula (including for credit and non-credit courses), online learning modules, web pages, user guides, and assessments.
- Serves as subject specialist and liaison to departments covering social science disciplines, providing formal and informal instruction in library research for these departments. Assists with subject-specific research queries in areas of expertise. Identifies opportunities for outreach and strategic partnerships with specific SIU Carbondale departments based on expertise.
- Assists with student recruitment, orientation, and retention strategies.
- Selects monographs and recommends other resources for social science disciplines. Participates in other collection development activities as needed.
- Participates in the library's scholarly communication initiatives, including the population of the Institutional Repository.
- Serves on library and university committees.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- ALA-accredited master's degree in Library Science (MLS) awarded by date of appointment.
- Bachelor's degree in a social science discipline.
- Proficiency in the use of general and subject-specific reference resources and in conducting library research.
- Experience creating web-based guides and tutorials (e.g., LibGuides).
- Working knowledge of a wide variety of information technology applications (e.g., Microsoft Office) and databases.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage projects, and multiple tasks while meeting deadlines and solving problems in a complex and dynamic environment.
- A strong customer-service orientation.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse faculty, staff, and students in a rapidly-evolving, team-oriented environment.
- Additional master's degree in a social science discipline.
- Speaking, reading and writing knowledge of a second language.
- Experience working in an academic library.
- Teaching experience.
- Collection development experience.
- Familiarity with online learning management systems and tools.
- History of working with diverse populations and college students.
- Experience writing, obtaining, and managing grants.
Salary: Competitive, $40,000-$50,000
Application Deadline: June 2013, or until filled
Application Procedure: Submit a letter of application stating qualifications and background for this position, a resume, and names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three professional references. References may be contacted by Library Affairs and asked to comment on your experience and qualifications for this position. All materials should be addressed to:
Teri Stobbs Ricci, Personnel Coordinator
Mail Code 6632
605 Agriculture Drive
Carbondale, IL 62901
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity employer that strives to enhance its
ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to
diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged
will receive consideration.
Southern Illinois University Carbondale - 9 months ago