Legal Support Specialist - C
Job ID: 21169
Full Time or Part Time: Full Time
Hourly: $16.36 up to $22.81
ALL applicants MUST submit a completed:
* City of Minneapolis online application
* Respond to screening questions in the online application
Applicants failing to follow the application process will not be considered. Resumes are not being accepted in place of an official City of Minneapolis application.
Perform clerical and technical work which directly supports City Attorney legal work for Client Services and Litigation attorneys involved in providing legal advice to elected officials and City departments, and defending the City against legal claims. There is currently one (1) non-exempt, full-time vacancy to be filled in the Civil Division of the City Attorney's Office.
* Using the document processing module in the case management system, produce error-free legal documents from handwritten drafts, dictation and/or templates. Generate graphs and spreadsheets for reports.
* Complete a data profile screen for each document with the title of the document, the matter identification number, author, category of document, and application used.
* Create adverse and advice matters in the case management system and upload all associated documentation.
* Organize adverse matter files according to accepted legal practices and perform on-going legal filing.
* Create and maintain inventory of locations of all active cases.
* Process closed adverse and advice files for archiving and maintain detailed archive records.
* Complete error free legal copying and scanning projects.
* Coordinate office copier/printer maintenance requests and maintain supplies.
* Act as backup to the office receptionist during absences.
* Maintain and update in-house legal library resources.
* Open and distribute mail.
* Process crime victim case disposition entry in case management system.
* Assist file room staff with filing and archiving projects.
* Perform other duties as assigned/needed.
Normal office setting
High School diploma.
Two (2) years of related experience, with legal training preferred. Ability to type at least 45 wpm is desired.
An equivalent combination of education and experience closely related to the duties of the position MAY be considered.
Please respond to the screening questions in the online application. Applicants failing to respond to the questions may not be considered.
The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.
Drug & Alcohol Testing
All job applicants must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test once a conditional offer of employment has been made. Applicants will be required to sign a notification and consent form prior to undergoing drug and alcohol testing. Applicants who do not consent to undergo drug and alcohol testing will not be required to do so and the City will withdraw the conditional job offer, resulting in the job applicant no longer being considered for the position.
The City of Minneapolis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
* Ability to use computer database to create documents, code, sort, organize, and report data, and to retrieve and index material for use in legal matters and proceedings.
* Ability to multi-task, determine priorities, and deal with deadline pressures.
* Good communication skills and the ability to deal with a variety of parties involved in legal and advice matters, including department personnel, opposing counsel, outside vendors, police officials, court officials and staff, and clients.
* Ability to transcribe documents using modern transcription equipment.
* Strong grammar skills.
* Knowledge of legal terms and requirements when serving legal documents.
* Good knowledge of modern office practices and the ability to use Microsoft Office Suite 2010.
* Ability to learn and apply information about a variety of information systems used in the legal field.
Any one or any combination of an evaluation of related education/experience/Screening Questionnaire responses/etc., an oral exam, etc. may be utilized (100%). The right is reserved to limit the number included in any phase. Interview may also include work simulation exercises, candidate assessments, etc.
MinnesotaJobs.com - 14 months ago
Experience award-winning style at the revitalized Minneapolis Marriott City Center, a Metrodome hotel in the heart of downtown consistently...