Position Title: Reference Librarian
Description: PTFS, a privately owned, Maryland-based company providing digital archiving and library solutions, as well as professional services including digitization, library staffing, and integration services, has an immediate opening for a Reference Librarian at a client site at Ft. Belvoir, VA.
The Reference Librarian will have the following responsibilities:
- Perform original research and reference service for faculty, staff and students.
- Provide service within available resources to all patrons.
- Perform reference interviews in-person, via e-mail and over the phone.
- Research sources and tools.
- Design instructional media as needed.
- Market library services.
- Teach library users how to use the library subscription databases and the online catalog and to do effective research using the open internet.
- Prepare instructional lessons. Teaching sessions will be recorded and broadcast on the internet, via live video teleconferencing or other electronic media.
- Apply innovative skills to recommend new library reference services.
- Maintain reference services metrics.
- Perform charge, discharge, renew and hold operations at circulation desk using Symphony.
- Create patrons and edit patron records.
- Help library patrons using the self-check machine, the reading room and equipment.
- Process inter-library loans via OCLC.
- Identify needed updates to content on the library’s internet and intranet sites.
- Compose content relevant to client mission.
- Work with the library’s database service providers to customize interface.
- Compile and report on the metrics/statistics for the library’s research and reference services.
- Assist faculty with special projects involving library resources.
- Assist library patrons in the use of all digital resources.
- Create and maintain documentation related to all duties.
The candidate must have the following experience:
- 4 years experience performing providing library reference support
- Demonstrated experience using electronic reference tools (WESTLAW, EBSCOHost, DIALOG) and technical services resources (OCLC)
- Knowledge of online bibliographic records
- Experience assisting library patrons with the use of online public access catalogs
- Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Windows, word processing and other office software applications.
- Knowledge and experience in legal and legislative research, including the ability to prepare current and retrospective legislative histories.
- Reference work experience in military libraries.
Masters’ Library Science Required.
Security Clearance Required: None
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace
Progressive Technology Federal Systems - 14 months ago