We are seeking new Librarians to join our team and change the lives of those we serve! We are currently looking to fill part time openings as well as creating a candidate pool for on-call positions. The ideal candidate for these positions will understand, support, practice and promote the San José Way of library innovation and the Mission, Vision, & Values statements of the City of San José and the San José Public Library; demonstrate leadership and a commitment to active customer service; have knowledge of current library technology and trends; have experience working with a diverse community and staff; and enjoy working in a fast-paced, innovative team environment.
Our librarians are community leaders, using their professional skills in finding ways to keep the library in the forefront of providing the information, lifelong learning, and recreational diversions people need to lead better lives. The job description enumerates the range of duties expected, but above all we are looking for flexible, service-oriented, friendly, and smart librarians, proud of their profession and wanting to make a difference and keep growing in their chosen profession.
Librarians are responsible for performing a variety of professional librarian duties. This may include: providing direct assistance to library customers in the location of information and library materials; serving as a resource for children, young adults, adults and library staff; conducting library tours, giving book talks, and planning, promoting, or presenting other programs; working with community groups to promote understanding, use and support of library service activities; analyzing, interpreting and answering reference questions, and providing reader's advisory information; supervising, leading or training the work of a clerical and technical staff as assigned; assuming responsibility for a facility or a section as assigned; selecting and managing collections; cataloging; web development and design. These positions will include evenings and weekend shifts.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
1. Education: A Master's Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university.
2. Experience: Librarian I - None; Librarian II - Minimum one year of full-time professional library experience.
3. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/ technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Customer Service - approaches problem-solving by focusing on customers first; advocates for customer results point of view; demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, respectful and friendly manner.
- Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - demonstrates a positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Technology Use/Management - uses efficient and cost-effective approaches to integrate technology into the workplace and improve program effectiveness.
- Initiative - exhibits self directed, resourceful and creative behaviors toward meeting job objectives; anticipates problems, is proactive, and avoids difficulties by planning ahead; displays willingness to assume extra responsibility or workload and accept challenges; pursue continuing educational opportunities which promote enhanced job performance.
- Project Management - ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
- Communication Skills - communicates and listens effectively and responds in a timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process:
1. Do you possess a Master's Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university? If so, indicate where you received your degree.
2. Do you have at least one year of full-time professional library experience? If yes, please describe your experience.
3. Do you have knowledge of the "San José Way" model of innovative service delivery used by the San José Public Library System (see http://sjpl.org/innovation)? If so, please describe how your philosophy of public library service aligns with San Jose Way and how you would incorporate the principles of San José Way into your daily work.
4. Do you have knowledge of the current trends in the library science profession, including Internet and Web-based technologies, reference, circulation services, and/or programming? If yes, briefly highlight some current trends that are of interest to you. Also, describe how you keep abreast with current/future technologies and trends.
5. Do you have experience in initiating and implementing change? If you answered yes, please describe a recent work-related experience where your initiative led to a change in service or practice. Provide a specific example and include details of the type of change, your role and responsibilities and the outcome.
6. Do you have a second language skill? If so, please select the language and describe your proficiency level.
7. Are you interested in a part time benefited position (approximately 20 hours) and/or a part time un-benefited position (on-call pool)?
You may answer these questions directly in the on-line application system or on a separate document and then cut and paste your answers into the appropriate spaces when prompted.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Library Personnel Office by e-mail at Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
Employees in this classification are represented by Municipal Employee's Federation (MEF), AFSCME, Local No. 101.
Submission of a resume is optional. The Education History and Work History sections of the application must be completed or the application will be considered to be incomplete and may be withheld from further consideration.
E-mail is the default method of communication with applicants. To ensure that you receive timely notification regarding your application status, please provide a current e-mail address when submitting your application. It is also recommended that you adjust any spam filters to ensure that you can receive e-mails from @sanjoseca.gov.
The application deadline is11:59 PM on the final filing date. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.
City of San Jose - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard