The Library Assistant , under direct supervision, performs routine clerical and/or non-complex library duties using manual and automated library systems. The Thurgood Marshall Law Library of the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law is hiring a part-time evening and weekend employee. Currently available is one seven-hour shift on Saturday evenings from 3:00 p.m. to 10:00.p.m. with the possibility of another shift on alternate Sundays from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Schedules can change each semester based on the library’s needs.
- Searches and retrieves materials from library stacks. Sorts and shelves materials. Provides library users with information and directional assistance in retrieving materials from library stacks.
- Charges and discharges circulating library materials on automated systems and sensitizing material.
- Searches manual and automated files to verify holdings or bibliographic information.
- Verifies shipment contents and property stamps materials; checks in library material.
- Performs repetitive bindery procedures such as copying, ordering, retrieving replacement pages and tipping into documents.
- Assists in ordering and storing library inventory or supplies and work forms.
- Performs routine clerical tasks such as opening and distributing mail, photocopying, collecting and compiling statistics, filing, typing, and periodical maintenance.
- Participates as needed in training or monitoring student help.
Note: the intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Skill in alphabetic and numeric filing. Ability to learn and understand library terminology and functions; to communicate effectively; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library users and staff; to lift, transport, sort and shelve library materials; to operate standard library and office equipment including personal computers and library software, photocopiers, microfilm and microfiche readers.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Hourly Rate : $12.75
To Apply: Interested applicants should send (a) cover letter, (b) resume, and (c) the names and telephone numbers of at least three references to:
Mary Alice Hohing
Director of Administration and Operations
Please submit all documents electronically to HR-Law@law.umaryland.edu , with “ Part-Time Library Assistant ” in the subject line.
DEADLINE: February 15, 2013
START DATE: No later than March 2, 2013
University of Maryland, Baltimore - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard -