Responsible for providing direct assistance to library patrons in reference, periodical searches, and alternative media use.
Essential Job Functions
Assess patron needs and provide assistance using printed materials, online databases and other library technologies.
Instruct patrons in the basic usage of the Internet, online services and resources, and other library technologies.
Instruct library patrons in the use of library equipment, including microform reader/printers, computers, and print management and PC reservation systems.
Respond and resolve requests for library materials, services and information or refer to librarians as needed.
Complete special projects, as assigned, to assist librarians with collection development, programs or library services.
Act as a backup for the circulation desk staff.
Organize and shelve or file materials appropriately, such as alphabetically or by Dewey decimal classification number.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
One or more of the following are preferred qualifications for this position
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Up to 1 year experience in public library
- Experience or background working in a diverse customer service environment
- Training or experience working with mainstream social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, GoodReads, etc.)
- Working knowledge of library technologies and online resources
Licenses & Certifications
- Basic knowledge of the Dewey Decimal Classification system
- Basic knowledge of library automated system functions
- Basic knowledge of library material and information organization systems
- Knowledge of proper public contact and telephone etiquette
- Skill in assisting with circulation desk activities including shelving and retrieving books
- Skill in utilizing Windows-based software
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns
- Ability to organize work for appropriate and timely completion
- Ability to work independently in the absence of the supervisor
- Ability to easily adjust to fluctuating work schedules and work from any library or unit, as assigned
- Skill in creating content using social media tools (e.g. Flickr, YouTube, etc.)
Valid Class C Texas driver's license
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical library environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Must be able to reach materials at 90” height shelving or shelving at floor level, push/pull 200 lb. loaded book cart, regularly left up to 50 pound bins, utilize keyboard and peripherals, etc.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
Four year Bachelor’s degree
Under and including 1 year experience in public library or customer service work environment
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
City of Garland - 16 months ago