This is a paraprofessional position in the Public Services section and/or Children’s Services section of the library. Work involves providing reference and reader’s advisory to patrons at the adult public service desks and/or children’s service desk. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Public Services supervisor and/or the Children’s Services supervisor. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
Examples of Duties:
- Provides reference and reader’s advisory to patrons at adult and/or children’s public service desks in person and via the telephone.
- Instructs patrons in the use of electronic and print resources.
- Maintains regular punctual and predictable attendance.
- Troubleshoots simple computer and printer problems.
Bachelor of Arts or Science Degree or equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
- Basic knowledge of public library services and practices
- Ability to provide reference and reader's advisory services to the public in person and via telephone and e-mail.
- Ability to instruct varied age groups in using electronic and print resources for information gathering
- Familiarity with MS Windows; a basic understanding of MS Office including the use of word processing software to create, retrieve and edit documents: using e-mail to read, send and reply to individuals and the ability to learn microcomputer procedures quickly.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with other employees and the public and to deal with public relations problems courteously and tactfully.
- Ability to work independently with creativity
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to bend in all directions, lift and lower items weighing up to 5 pounds
This is a sub position with a mix of set and call-in hours. Hours will vary from 10-20 hours per week, with some evening and weekend hours required.
City of Appleton, WI - 16 months ago