- Provide reference service to library patrons and serves as backup for Reference Librarians.
- Maintain a strong knowledge of print and online resources including the library catalog, databases, and reference materials.
- Teach patrons how to research their information needs using relevant online and print resources.
- Teach patrons how to use other library services including interlibrary loan, reserves and e-reserves.
- Provide troubleshooting and basic assistance with photocopiers and printers.
- Manage the physical space by keeping the area attractive and well-organized, ensure prompt an accurate shelving and regular shelf-reading of reference materials.
- Monitor equipment and supplies, maintaining, ordering and replacing items as needed.
- Have a positive customer service philosophy.
- Interpret library policies and procedures as needed to perform daily duties.
- Performs other related duties as required. May be cross-trained to serve as a back-up in other library departments.
- Independent judgment under minimal supervision from department coordinator or other library faculty.
Education and/or Experience:
- Two years of college coursework and/or relevant library experience required.
- Library public service experience or relevant customer service experience.
- Basic computer skills, email, work-processing, database searching.
- Standard library and office practices and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse population.
- Some understanding of instruction or training.
- Ability to work in a changing, progressive environment.
- Word processing, World Wide Web use, Instant messaging, Web 2.0
- Effective communication skills with a diverse population.
- Ability to work well as a team.
- Ability to adapt to changing customer and library demands.
Texas State University-San Marcos is saddled up and ready to rope some graduates. The school has more than 34,000 students pursuing degrees...