This part-time position (up to 19 hours per week)
performs paraprofessional library work providing excellent customer service where duties include:
- Providing assistance to patrons in the effective use of the Library collection, facilities and services.
- Answering readers' advisory and general reference questions received by telephone, through the Internet and in person by accessing a variety of print and non-print resources including electronic resources.
- Providing instruction for the public in the use of print and electronic resources such as on-line catalogs, Internet, databases and websites.
- Assisting library patrons by processing registrations and payments of fines, issuing library cards; and checking materials in and out.
- Assisting with library operating procedures to include opening and closing; securing the building and cash supply; emptying the book drop; logging computers on and off; sorting and shelving library material.
- Operating, troubleshooting and instructing the public in the use of equipment including computers, photocopier, fax machine, microfilm reader, scanner, etc.
- Ability to interact courteously and professionally with the public, coworkers and others in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to respond appropriately to information-seeking behaviors and diverse learning styles.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, work independently, and exercise judgment in resolving customer issues.
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust to a constantly changing work environment.
Associates degree and two years of related library experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties. Bachelor's degree preferred.
Preferred Skills and Knowledge
- Dewey Decimal system
- Literary genres
- Information and reference resources