This position will be scheduled for 17.5 hours per week during regular branch hours.
Under the general supervision of the Managing Librarian, a Library Information Assistant:
- Provides circulation/reference service and instruction to library patrons of all ages using print, media and computer resources;
- Answers questions from the public in person, over the telephone and electronically;
- Performs community outreach to promote and increase public participation and use of library services;
- Assists in planning and delivering library programs for children, teens and/or adults;
- Instructs patrons on the use of the Internet, computer applications and other Library services;
- Assists with fines & fees management, collection development/weeding, reserves and opening/closing procedures;
- Ensures patrons follow library policies and procedures;
- May take responsibility for the facility, staff and operations in the absence of the Library Manager;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably with a strong, well-rounded liberal arts background;
- Successfully demonstrated public service experience with the ability to work well with a diverse patronage;
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills;
- Successfully demonstrated ability to work as part of a team;
- Strong organization and planning skills, including the ability to perform multiple projects or tasks simultaneously;
- Strong computer and other related technology skills, including MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint;
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer services including on-line searching, social media and Library databases preferred;
- Experience creating, conducting and/or participating in community training, programming and outreach preferred;
- Demonstrated knowledge of library resources preferred.
- Spanish preferred
The New York Public Library was created in 1895 with the consolidation of the private libraries of John Jacob Astor and James Lenox with the...