The purpose of this position is to ensure library materials are available for patron use. This is accomplished by shelving books according to library classification systems (alphabetic, numeric, and alphanumeric) and by repairing library materials. Other duties may include creating library displays and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Sorts and shelves all library materials by organizing book carts, transporting books and materials to the correct location -utilizing the library classification systems, placing books and materials on shelves in the correct order, examining books to ensure they are in operative condition and straightening materials as needed.
- Checks shelves for accurate placement of materials, rearranges books to eliminate overcrowding so that the library collection is in excellent order.
- Locates and recovers library materials from public areas for library staff and library patrons. Maintains the appearance of public areas.
- Performs various procedures prior to opening and closing of the library by straightening chairs, as well as picking up materials from tables.
- Assists patrons with routine directional questions, referring patrons to the appropriate staff member and instructs patrons on basic library equipment such as the library catalog, microfilm, self-checkout and copier equipment.
- Performs repairs on books, audios and videos; cleaning videos and working with processing personnel in repairing new materials.
- Creates library displays by identifying, researching and gathering information/materials for display themes; as well as decorating display areas.
- Maintains back issues of library periodicals, newspapers and microfilm.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes and the routine operation of machines. Level of knowledge equivalent to less than high school or equivalency.
No experience required.
We are currently accepting applications for two positions that are scheduled to work 24 hours per week each with a varied schedule that may include working mornings, evenings, and weekends.
1st position: May 28th - August 2nd
2nd position: June 24th - August 30th
Basic - Ability to recognize meaning of common two- or three-syllable words. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives directions: The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Assignment is reviewed upon completion.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Discussion Occasional: 20% or less of work time.
City of Allen, TX - 11 months ago