Duties and Responsibilities:
The Library Reference Specialist provides advanced reference instruction and assistance to patrons in the use of both traditional and electronic information services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides assistance to patrons by staffing the circulation and reference desks.
- Conducts orientation, tours and bibliographic instruction for scheduled classes.
- Assists with collection development and preparation of library materials.
- Performs various clerical tasks using standard word processing, presentation, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Supervises work-study students, as assigned.
- Performs troubleshooting and assistance with the use of library hardware and software.
- Organizes and prioritizes multiple tasks; reads and understands general periodicals, business and professional journals; follows technical procedures, college and library policies, and government regulations; writes reports, business correspondence, and procedures manuals; instructs others in the use of library equipment and resources.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To ensure compliance with federal and college requirements, some mandatory training must be completed for this position.
- Associate's degree in a related field from an accredited institution and one (1) year of related experience in an academic or public library.
- Experience responding to questions and handling non-routine inquiries or complaints.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook), Internet Explorer, Firefox, and basic office skills including filing, word processing and reception.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field from an accredited institution and experience in community college library.
- Experience providing instruction and presenting information to students, faculty, staff, administration and the public one-on-one, in small groups and in classroom settings.
- Working knowledge of general library systems, processes, and procedures, especially those related to reference assistance, library instruction and circulation.
- Experience with Innovative Interfaces, Inc. Millennium and ILS.
- Ability to demonstrate the use of technological equipment and to troubleshoot problems with computers, printers, scanners, copiers and fax machines.
- Experience relating to and interacting with non-traditional, diverse populations.
Tuesday - Saturday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; occasional covering of evening shift
Closing date at 5:00 pm:
Required Applicant Documents:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Transcripts will be required at the time of interview if not attached with application. See more detailed instructions below.
To be considered applicants must submit all of the following documents: a) completed CNM employment application; b) résumé; c) letter of interest detailing how applicant meets requirements, preferences; d) copies of transcripts---see notes below; e) certifications/licensures, if applicable.
If applicable, certifications/licensures should be electronically uploaded in the "Other Tab." Transcripts for Certificates or Bachelor's degrees should be electronically uploaded in "Transcript from an accredited Institution 1 Tab". Transcript for Master's degrees should be electronically uploaded in "Transcript from an accredited Institution 2 Tab."
Note One: If transcripts and certifications are currently available please attach them electronically to your application now. This is the preferred method and will speed the hiring process. If transcripts and certifications are not available now they will be required at the time of the interview. No one will be hired without proper proof of credentials. If candidate is selected for hire "official transcripts" will be required.
Note Two: Even if an applicant meets minimum requirements without factoring in the completion of all their post-secondary education or submission of all certifications we ask applicants who have degrees and additional qualifications to provide proof of all credentials.
Note Three: The degree on the transcript should match the credentials listed on the employment application and resume. For a transcript to be considered valid it must list the following as a minimum: a) the name of the transcript holder; b) name of the school attended; c) degree conferred; d) date the degree was conferred; e) if applicable required coursework as listed in the minimum requirements.
Note Four: If selected for an interview professional references will be required. Applicants will be asked to provide the names and contact information for at least three (Names, Titles, Organizations, and Business Phone Numbers). CNM requires at least one reference be from a recent supervisor.
Note Five: Degrees from foreign institutions must be accompanied by a transcript evaluation and a transcript translation.
Central New Mexico Community College - 16 months ago