Under the supervision of the RN Unit Manager / DON, a Licensed Practical Nurse/Licensed Vocational Nurse performs as a licensed care giver and assumes responsibility and accountability for assigned residents/patients for a shift of duty. Nursing care is provided through coordination, implementation, and evaluation of the resident’s/patient’s plan of care. The LPN/LVN adheres to the standards of care for the area, manages the environment to maintain resident/patient safety, and supervises the resident/patient care activity performance by nursing assistants. Follows all Extendicare policies and procedures. Performs duties as defined by the State Nurse Practice Act.
1. Supervisory Responsibilities
2. Provides the following nursing functions:
- Makes daily work assignments.
- *Directs the work of employees.
- Schedules lunch and rest breaks.
- Authorizes early departure from work.
- Authorizes overtime.
- Reassigns employees from one area to another area as facility needs dictate.
- Prepares written evaluations of assigned employees.
- Enforces facility policies with authority to issue Disciplinary Action Reports as needed.
- Authority to suspend employees for rules violation.
- Initials time records to authorize variances.
- Interviews applicants that will be assigned to his/her area of responsibility.
- Receives and handles employee complaints.
- *Participates in training programs and assists in orientation of new staff.
3. *Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and acts in accordance with Extendicare Health Services, Inc.’s Corporate Compliance Program.
- *Makes frequent rounds to monitor resident/patient conditions and to ensure nursing personnel are performing their work assignments in accordance with acceptable nursing standards.
- *Provides direct resident/patient care, including medication administration. Makes observations, records and reports to the appropriate person any symptoms, reactions and changes in resident/patient condition.
- Reviews care plans daily to ensure that appropriate care is being given.
- Keeps physician informed of resident/patient conditions.
- Receives and transcribes physician’s order to resident/patient charts, Kardex/Care Plan A, Medication Administration Record (“MAR”), treatment/care plans, as required.
- Charts nurses notes in an informative and descriptive manner reflecting the care provided and the resident’s/patient’s response to that care.
- Gives/receives nursing report at shift change.
- Completes all reports and forms as required.
- Participates in Interdisciplinary Plan of Care (“IPOC”) meetings as requested.
- Follows all controlled drug policies and procedures as required.
- Follows locked medication room and medication cart policies and procedures as required.
- Ensures assigned work areas are maintained in a clean and sanitary manner.
- Assures charges are accounted for on all chargeable items.
- Documents all pertinent data as required by Medicare, Medicaid, Extendicare standards and policies.
4. Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy.
5. *Attends and participates in in-service training, performance improvement (“PI”) committees and other meetings as scheduled and directed.
6. Follows facility dress and hygiene policies.
8. Resident Rights
- Knows and follows facility rules.
- *Demonstrates proper use of equipment. Reports equipment needs or repairs.
- Follows facility smoking policies.
- Reports and documents any incidents or accidents of residents/patients, staff or visitors to the appropriate facility personnel.
- Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to Supervisor.
- *Performs duties, which may include transportation of residents/patients, as assigned in Facility Disaster Plan.
- Uses required protective equipment.
- Follows infection control standards, policies and procedures.
- Knows Resident Rights. Helps the residents/patients exercise and/or protect their rights.
- Reports resident complaints to management.
- Maintains confidentiality of resident/patient information.
- Follows and adheres to Extendicare’s policies and procedures implementing HIPAA requirements for the privacy and security of protected health information.
- Uses and/or discloses only minimum amount of Protected Health Information necessary to complete assigned tasks (applies only if position requires access to PHI under Role Based Access Grid).
- Reports all suspected violation of company’s HIPAA policies or procedures to Facility Privacy Designee.
The designation of “essential functions” and “other duties” is for purposes of compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Employees holding this position will be required to perform all job duties, consistent with law. In addition, employees must meet applicable health requirements imposed by law.
- *Performs other duties as directed by facility management.
- Participates in all-hands dining.
- *Works overtime, holiday and weekend hours as scheduled.
This description has been prepared to assist in evaluating various classes of responsibilities, skills, and working conditions. It indicates the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of positions given this classification. It is not intended as a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities. Nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. Nothing contained herein is intended or shall be construed to create or constitute a contract of employment between any employee or group of employees and the Employer. The Employer retains and reserves any and all rights to change, modify, amend, add to or delete from any section of this document as it deems, in its judgment, to be proper.
Education : Licensed in the state as a LPN.
Experience : Experience in giving medications to a large group of residents.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities : Able to use necessary supplies and equipment (feeding pumps, oxygen, treatment trays, medication cart, etc.). Able to calculate drug dosage. Meets all health requirements imposed by law. Ability to relate positively, effectively, and appropriately with residents, families, community members, volunteers and other facility staff. Able to read, write, speak and understand English. Proficient in Microsoft Office version 1997, 2000 or XP.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The responsibilities of this position involve significant physical activities including standing, lifting (up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, twisting, pushing and pulling. Tasks marked with an asterisk (*) are those that regularly require these physical activities. All employees of nursing homes may be required to provide lifting and transfer assistance to residents/patients. Lifting and/or transferring some residents/patients will require use of a lifting device and/or assistance of other staff.
If you can hear yourself saying one of the following:
"Helping People Live Better."
"Revolutionizing Post-Acute Therapy."
A challenging and exciting career at Extendicare, ProStep or VCPI awaits you. We value our customers and our teams who care for them. We are enthusiastic about helping others by providing quality care, rehabilitation and IT services. If you are interested in a rewarding career, passionate staff, and a diverse team apply