The licensed practical nurse assists in implementing the nursing process throughout the care continuum under the direction of the registered nurse, advanced practice registered nurse, or licensed practitioner. This practice includes dependent and interdependent functions. |
Education, Experience and Skills Requirements
Must have graduated from an accredited school or college of nursing program leading to licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Associate's degree in practical nursing is preferred. Specific services/positions may have additional education, training or experience requirements. Must have attended a pre-licensure nursing program that included supervised clinical experience across the life span as part of the curriculum or have had a minimum of 400 hours of experience as a RN (or LPN) at another facility.
Requires current licensure as a practical nurse in the state/states of practice.
Job Specific Competencies
- Observes and follows the duly adopted standards, policies, directives and orders of the Board/s of Nursing as they relate to the licensed practical nurse.
- Interacts with customers in a warm and friendly way.
- Takes immediate action to meet customer requests or needs.
- Listens to understand what customers have to say.
- Recognizes safety hazards and takes corrective action; seeking assistance when needed.
- Demonstrates knowledge of operational policies and procedures.
- Performs work safely, without causing harm or risk to self, others or property.
- Makes a decision considering the impact of the decision on other areas.
- Initiates collaboration with others outside of service area.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to the principles, values, and ethics of the organization.
- Models accountability for learning by sharing knowledge and learning from others.
- Builds effective working relationships.
- Expresses appreciation to others for their work.
- Treats others with respect.
- Defines and delegates work responsibilities with clear, consistent expectations and outcomes.
- Demonstrates both knowledge and application of Sanford policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Facilitates and supports change within the Sanford Health.
- Demonstrates commitment to continuous learning for themselves and staff.
Information Management Competencies
- Demonstrates skill in accessing, preparing and using information as relevant to position.
- Verbalizes and demonstrates knowledge of procedures for maintaining security, confidentiality and integrity of employee, patient, family and other medical information.
- Demonstrates skill in use of equipment relevant to position; verbalizes knowledge of appropriate safety procedures.
- Diagnoses equipment problems; fixes or seeks out someone to fix.
Professional/Clinical Practice Competencies
- Assessment: Contributes to the assessment of health status of patients by collecting basic objective and subjective data from observations, exams, interviews and written records; recording and reporting the data; assisting in the validating, refining and modifying the data. Bases the scope and depth of assessment on the patients immediate condition or need.
- Diagnosis: Contributes to establishing nursing diagnoses that identify the needs of the patient by identifying signs and symptoms of deviations from normal health status; identifying overt learning needs.
- Planning: Participates in the development of the plan of care for individuals. This includes recognizing the holistic needs of the patient, contributing to the identification of priorities and setting of goals.
- Evaluation: Contributes to the evaluation of the responses of individuals to nursing interventions by documenting and communicating evaluation data to the appropriate members of the health care team, and assisting in modifying the plan of care based upon the evaluation.
- Documentation: Thoroughly documents patient information in an accurate and timely manner, according to organizational policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Patient Education: Assists with the assessment of patient needs and participates in the development of teaching plans for patients. Provides patient teaching according to the developed plan.
- Implementation: Participates in implementing the nursing plan of care and nursing interventions by caring for patients whose conditions are stable or predictable, assisting with clients whose conditions are critical or unpredictable, implementing nursing care according to the priority of needs and established practices, directing, as appropriate, components of nursing care to other members of the nursing care team and retaining accountability for the direction given, providing an environment conducive to safety and health, documenting and communicating nursing interventions and responses to care to appropriate members of the health care team, administering medications and treatments prescribed by a licensed practitioner.
Age Related Competencies
- Applies knowledge of growth and development in customer interactions and adapts care according to patient's age/developmental stage.
- This position is classified as a Category I position under OSHA guidelines with high risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other potentially infectious materials.
View Physical Requirements
Sanford Health - 16 months ago
FORMAN FAMILY MEDICINE - SANFORD HEALTH FORMAN CLINIC - FORMAN ND
- 2 days ago
OTOLARYNGOLOGY (ENT) - SANFORD BROADWAY CLINIC - FARGO ND
- 5 days ago
INTERNAL MEDICINE SOUTHPOINTE - SANFORD SOUTHPOINTE CLINIC - FARGO ND
- 6 days ago