Performs assigned nursing duties, including assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating patient care, under the direct supervision of an RN/Physician.
PERFORMS THE ACTIVITIES REQUIRED FOR THE DELIVERY OF PATIENT CARE.
PARTICIPATES IN EDUCATION AND PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT ACTIVITIES TO IMPROVE AND MAINTAIN PERSONAL AND DEPARTMENTAL QUALIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE.
- Effectively performs and assists with delegated procedures, implements physician's orders and records observations and evaluations of patient response in a timely and detail oriented manner.
- Reinforces patient/family teaching as delegated by the RN and clearly documents patient response in patient record.
- Accepts and documents verbal orders from the provider according to Scott and White Clinic guidelines.
- Establishes and maintains venous access and IV therapy in accordance with Scott & White policies and procedures.
- Clearly communicates, verbally and in writing, patient care activities and patient condition to appropriate parties.
- Provides appropriate assistance in emergency and stressful situations as needed.
FULFILLS CONTINUING EDUCATION, LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS TO MAINTAIN REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS.
- Willingly participates in performance improvement activities as they are available.
- Attends inservice education and staff meetings as required.
- Shares technical knowledge with staff/students in a supportive manner.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC: HOME CARE
- Takes personal responsibility to understand, complete and maintain the professional and technical licensures/certifications required of the position and furnishes Scott & White with the necessary documentation to substantiate compliance.
ACTIVELY PARTICIPATES IN THE REFERRAL PROCESS.
UTILIZES COMPUTER APPLICATIONS PROFICIENTLY TO ENHANCE SERVICES.
- Takes initial referral and coordinates with referral sources.
- Clarifies orders by verifying treatment needs and the following physicians, per homecare/hospice guidelines.
- Assigns admission visit in conjunction with patient care manager or designee to appropriate discipline.
- Facilitates communications associated with the referral source and process to appropriate team members.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC: HEMODIALYSIS
- Involved in completing intake referrals and entering data accurately.
- Maintains admission packets with appropriate materials and forms.
- Assist with tracking of orders/plan of care documents in software program.
- Generates system reports to support clinical staff.
FULFILLS ADDITIONAL EDUCATION REQUIRED TO ACQUIRE QUALIFICATIONS.
INITIATES, MONITORS AND TERMINATES DIALYSIS FOR A SPECIFIC GROUP OF PATIENTS.
- Successfully completes 6-8 week training provided by dialysis unit in a timely manner.
- Successfully completes Scott & White Pharmacology and Intravenous course in a timely manner.
ADMINISTERS MEDICATIONS AND TREATMENTS REQUIRED FOR DELIVERY OF QUALITY PATIENT CARE.
- Correctly initiates and terminates dialysis for patients with AV fistulas and vascular access catheters.
- Safely injects local anesthesia in area of dialysis needle placement.
- Monitors blood products following RN verification and initiation of administration.
- Diligently monitors treatment for possible dialysis problems and intervenes appropriately.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC: GI
- Administers and monitors routine intravenous dialysis medications in accordance with unit policy.
- Administers SQ and IM medications as ordered; administers PO PRN medications in accordance with unit policy.
- Correctly performs site dressing changes for vascular access catheters.
- Draws routine labs, as ordered, through the dialysis lines and/or peripheral routes as necessary.
PATIENT TEACHING AND EVALUATION
- Instructs patients on bowel prep per telephone or in clinic.
- Instructs patients regarding diet and medications prior to procedure.
- Explains procedure to patient and answers questions.
- Reviews pt chart to determine if pt meets requirements for open access procedures vs GI consult.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC: EM FOLLOW UP
- Schedules patient for procedures in OAS gold.
- Verifies insurance coverage prior to scheduling procedures & defers to clinic supervisor/manager for any questions .
PROCESSES TEST RESULTS TO FACILITATE CONTINUITY OF PATIENT CARE.
DELIVERS IN-PATIENT ANCILLARY TEST RESULTS TO HOSPITAL TO FACILITATE CONTINUING PATIENT CARE.
- Accurately reviews brown border lab reports, radiology reports and EKG's for abnormalities; correctly separates abnormal results and makes them available for review and signature within 24 hours as appropriate; initials all normal, unchanged brown border lab results obtained while patient is still present in the ED.
COMMUNICATES TESTS RESULTS TO THE APPROPRIATE PARTIES TO FACILITATE FOLLOW-UP CARE.
- Utilizes SMS to accurately obtain in-patient room numbers and forward test results to the appropriate area in a timely manner.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC: CCH
- Promptly notifies County Health Department of any positive and communicable results in accordance with established policies and procedures, and promptly notifies patients, via certified mail or telephone call, of abnormal results and required follow-up care at the direction of the physician and in accordance with established policies and procedures.
PROVIDES QUALITY PATIENT CARE.
Administers and documents medication administration with accuracy and timeliness.
- Provides succinct, relevant shift reports noting patient assessment, family concerns, changes in Physician orders, tasks to be done, and other facts of importance.
- Coordinates plan of care for the shift with CNA/HUC assigned to each patient; makes contact with non-licensed staff throughout the shift in a collaborative, team-oriented approach. Reviews and updates Care Plan each shift for each assigned patient.
- Conducts thorough head to toe assessment for new admissions and each assigned patient to include Stage II - IV skin measurements.
- Conducts patient and family education considering individual needs and abilities; documents teaching conducted.
COLLABORATES WITH PHYSICIANS FOR PROVISION OF PATIENT CARE.
- Functions competently and effectively in emergency situations.
- Addresses patient or family concerns.
- Follows proper hand hygiene pre/post patient care and post glove removal.
ASSUMES RESPONSIBILITY FOR ENVIRONMENT.
- Monitors charts for new Physician's Orders throughout the shift; carries out orders in a timely manner.
- Clarifies orders prior to conducting; request Physicians write order when in house rather than taking verbal or telephone order.
- Makes recommendations to Physicians regarding patient care based on individualized patient needs.
Leaves COW, Med Room work space, and Ancillary Nursing Station in organized manner for oncoming shift.
- Performs activities that reflect an understanding of patient/facility safety, to include eliminating equipment clutter in hallways, parking and plugging COWs and Dynamapps at Ancillary Work areas, and assuring dirty equipment is placed in Soiled Utility Room.
- Removes rental equipment from patient room upon discontinuation; notifies CNA/HUC of need to call rental company to pick up equipment.
- Leaves appropriate level of supplies for oncoming shift, to include stocking isolation carts in patient room.
- Utilizes supplies and resources in a cost effective manner.
PROMOTES QUALITY CARE AND OPERATIONS.
Converts negative comments and behaviors to constructive suggestions.
- Keeps Charge Nurse apprised of status of assigned patients, changes in patient condition and personal needs throughout shift.
- Offers constructive criticism for the enhancement and development of the organization.
- Participates in quality improvement initiatives upon request.
SERVES AS A COLLABORATIVE MEMBER OF THE PATIENT CARE TEAM
- Sees inconsistencies in patient care/Unit operations and takes responsibility to obtain clarification.
ASSUMES RESPONSIBILITY FOR PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL GROWTH AND UNDERSTANDING.
- Collaborates with Team members, to include areas such as Dietary, Therapies, Case Management for the provision of care and smooth operations.
- Orients and coaches new Team members to the facility, processes and patient care.
- Assures patient care is covered by another team member when off the Unit for breaks, in-services and meetings.
- Minimizes tardiness and absences, in accordance with Policy.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC: OPHTH
- Reviews e-mails, Communiques, and Communication book at least weekly for new information, initals all hard copy entries.
- Attends inservices offered on-site as they relate to growth needs.
MAINTAINS SURGICAL SCHEDULE FOR SURGEONS
PERFORMS OTHER POSITION APPROPRIATE DUTIES AS REQUIRED IN A COMPETENT, PROFESSIONAL AND COURTEOUS MANNER.
- Consistently schedules surgical days to the mutual satisfaction of the patient, the surgeon and the facility staff
- Communicates to the patients in a manner that instills understanding and confidence about their upcoming procedure.
- Arranges for necessary preoperative testing and appointments.
- Scheduled preoperative testing in the SMS system.
- Ensures that patients are sent to the financial counselors the day that surgery is scheduled.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITY
- Must be a graduate of an accredited Vocational School of Nursing.
- One to two years experience preferred.
Experience: Minimum/No Experience
Degree: H. S. Graduate/GED Equivalent
License/Certificate: Basic Cardiac Life Support Advncd Cert per Unit Reqmnt Req Certs get 30d after exp Licens Pract/Vocational Nurse
Department: KlnCln Family Medicine
Standard Hours Per Week: 40