Under the direction of the Executive Director of Industry Partnerships and working as part of a life sciences-focused team within the Office of Economic Development, the Industry Liaison will foster economic development in Connecticut and beyond by creating opportunities to connect business and industry to the University focusing on research and technology. The Liaison's primary responsibility is to identify and understand the needs of the life sciences industry and communicate those interests to faculty with the goal of forming mutually beneficial R&D partnerships and collaborations. The position requires the ability to match industry's strategic imperatives and product concepts with the University's life science research strengths. The Liaison will also be expected to aid in the licensing of the University's intellectual property.
- Assist the Vice President of Economic Development, academic deans, faculty, and company executives to define and structure individualized alliances that mutually benefit companies and the university.
- Establish strong relationships with relevant industry executives, CTOs and researchers in Connecticut, the region and beyond.
- Work with firms to identify technological needs and connect those firms with UConn researchers who can address their issues and deliver results.
- Encourage industry partners to sponsor research, establish internships and recruit University graduates.
- Manage industry alliances, serving as the key University contact for industry partners.
- Establish programs and tools that encourage frequent and open communication between University researchers and the corporate community.
- Participate in team-based evaluation of the patentability and market potential of University inventions.
- Work with the Director of Life Sciences to market and license University inventions.
- May have access to information used in collective bargaining.
- Participate in discussions and decisions pertaining to the formation of University start-up companies.
- Work with other members of the Office of Economic Development to achieve the Office's overall goals.
- Perform other related duties as required.
1. Advanced degree in life sciences, OR an MBA or JD or Mater's level in a related field with at least three years experience working with life sciences as a subject matter.
2. A minimum of five (5) years of experience which may include a combination of management, marketing, product development, technology development, technology transfer and/or research demonstrating an ability to be entrepreneurial, identify and make effective contacts with industry resulting in partnerships, collaborations or business relationships.
2. Must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to distill and articulate technical concepts in order to communicate effectively with both university scientists and industry executives across a broad range of technologies.
3. Ability to understand the industrial relevance of early-stage inventions.
1. A combination of business and academic/R&D experience in a technology field.
2. Writing Skills
3. Knowledge of intellectual property management and patenting
5. Strong computer skills
6. Knowledge of the formation of equity based ventures and intellectual property issues
7. Ability to work as both team leader and team member
8. Ability to set priorities and work within targeted time frames
9. Ability to be responsive to the academic mission and priorities of the University
This is a full time, confidential-exempt position. The University of Connecticut offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including employee and dependent tuition reimbursement at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three professional references as attachments to Husky Hire. The University of Connecticut is an EEO/AA employer.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 PM eastern on 12/25/2012.