The Lifeguard/Water Safety Instructor position is part-time, irregular, which means there is no guarantee of hours and no benefits associated with this position. Working hours are based on staffing needs for this 7-day operation, together with employees' availability, which will be discussed during candidate interview. Flexible hours are available including, days (mornings and/or afternoons), evenings, and weekends. WILL TRAIN and will reimburse employees for cost of class, IF employee stays for a minimum of six months and/or works 100 hours.
APPLICATION FOR THIS POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN ON AN ONGOING BASIS AND APPLICANTS CONTACTED AS NEEDED
Starting pay is $8.51/hour , but may increase depending on responsibilities assumed and certifications possessed.
Primary functions of the job are to provide a safe environment for swimming pool patrons and to respond to minor and major emergencies both in water and on land. Employees work as part of a team and are responsible for ensuring that the team meets its objectives.
Employees must meet the minimum requirements, conditions of employment, and be able to perform successfully all essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodations.
Examples of Duties:
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (may include but are not limited to the following)
• Observes and supervises swimmers
• Enforces water safety rules and regulations
• Rescues persons in distress, administers first aid, assists in maintaining life saving equipment
• Assists in cleaning and maintaining pool, keeping pool deck, locker rooms and adjoining areas clean and acceptable for periodic inspections and checks pool and surrounding area for potential hazards
• Answers inquiries and provides information pertaining to the pool, its facilities, schedules and programs, collects money and staffs office as required
• Assists in swimming instruction classes
EDUCATION, FORMAL TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE (minimum requirements)
• Some High School
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES (minimum requirements)
Parks & Recreation department personnel will train and assist with securing the following certifications:
• Lifeguard/Water Safety Instructor Certifications
• Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Pro Certification
• First Aid Certification
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT (minimum qualifications - legal or contractual pre-employment obligations and/or requirements, such as drug testing, background check, etc.)
A background check may be required initially and periodically for an individual hired, transferred, reclassified, promoted, or currently working in this job. Appointment to or continued employment in this job is contingent upon a satisfactory background check which may include, but is not limited to: confirmation of a persons’ identity; review of criminal conviction records; verification of educational degree, license, or certificate required for the position; review of Department of Motor Vehicles records; Department of Justice fingerprint scan; and/or drug and alcohol testing as required and allowable by law. A satisfactory background check is defined as the absence of a criminal history record which bears a demonstrable relationship to the applicant's or employee's suitability to perform the required duties and responsibilities of the position.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, WORK ENVIRONMENT, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
• MUST BE AT LEAST 16 YEARS OLD
• May be required to climb or balance; reach with hands and arms; sit; stand for extended periods of time; stoop, kneel, or crouch; talk and hear; smell; use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
• May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, infectious diseases.
• May occasionally be required to lift/move over 100 pounds.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, COMPETENCIES (minimum requirements)
• Basic knowledge of English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and simple mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, ratios, etc.
• Knowledge of lifesaving and first aid methods and techniques
• Knowledge of public swimming area safety
• Interpersonal skills necessary to work courteously and effectively with other employees and the public
• Must be in good physical health necessary to perform the manual labor tasks, such as rescuing a person in distress
• Ability to act quickly in emergencies
• Ability to consistently demonstrate sound ethics and judgment
• Ability to apply sound judgment, solve problems, make effective decisions, and act with integrity
• Ability to accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
• Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries
• Ability to comprehend, process and apply both verbal and written skills appropriate to the job
• Ability to use County resources effectively and efficiently
Grand Traverse County, MI - 20 months ago