Nationally acclaimed restaurant, Whisknladle, is looking to welcome four (4), full-time line cooks to its award-winning restaurant in beautiful downtown La Jolla. Line Cooks at Whisknladle train under Head Chef Ryan Johnston and are responsible for daily food preparation and manning a clean, efficient workstation during busy services, as part of a dynamic kitchen team.
Line cooks are an essential role to any kitchen team & where the greatest chefs all got their start. As a line cook at Whisknladle, you’ll learn under Michelin & three-star trained chefs. You’ll learn the landscape of San Diego through the ingredients you prepare from local farms. And, you’ll be asked to push yourself every day in order to keep learning, growing & earning your place in one of San Diego’s top kitchens. The primary responsibilities of this role include:
• Exercising basic knowledge of cooking techniques and knife skills in the preparation of all foods daily
• Building lists to support the execution of daily tasks, i.e. opening check lists, mise en place, etc.
• Maintaining cleanliness and organization in all tasks and workstations
• Managing daily tasks as unpacking orders, icing fish & shellfish, properly storing proteins, keeping the walk-in clean, etc.
• Exercising safe food practices, including accurately dating & labeling foods
• Understanding how to implement and write recipes
• Executing & replicating menu items according the chef’s specifications
• Tasting all dishes for accuracy and seasoning, including meats, seafood, vegetables, sauces, etc.
• Filling out prep lists, par sheets & communicating items to be ordered
• Attending mandatory kitchen meetings assigned by the chef and managers
• Volunteer participation in company activities, parties & educational visits to farms & other vendors
• Must be able to cook efficiently & work with a sense of urgency for up to 8 hours a day
• Must be able to communicate and maintain calm in high pressure situations
• Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. up and down stairs
• Must be able to build rapport with teammates
• Must understand all company policies & how to follow proper procedures after completing training
Pay range: $10-14 per hour, as determined by experience. Whisknladle recognizes and closes for the following holidays: Super Bowl Sunday, 4th of July, Labor Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Christmas Day.
We believe that the quality of our people is our greatest asset. If you are interested in being part of a growing team, and feel you meet the requirements above, we would like to encourage you to apply now by emailing Sam Burman, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a copy of your resume, as well as the name of the position you are applying for in the ‘subject line’ of your email.
About Whisknladle Hospitality Whisknladle Hospitality is the San Diego based restaurant group behind nationally acclaimed restaurants Whisknladle & Prepkitchen. Dedicated to serving local & sustainably sourced foods, each restaurant serves farm-to-table fare, utilizing from-scratch cooking methods in order to deliver honest gourmet comfort food.
Whisknladle was awarded “Best New Restaurant – Worldwide” in 2008 by Conde Nast Traveler, and was more recently awarded “Best Farm-to-Table” restaurant by San Diego Citybeat and “Best Chef” by San Diego Home & Garden magazines in 2012