Linguist/Translator- Uzbek (Job Number: 211536)
The MSBU currently has an opening for a Uzbek Linguist
1- Responsibilities: Performs full range of activities in processing materials or participating in situations requiring a general professional capability as follows: Translation:
- Can accurately translate reports/texts in electronic and hardcopy formats that not only contain facts but also some abstract language showing an ability to capture intended implications and many nuances.
- Can generally capture geopolitical, regional, ethnic, and cultural elements in text. Word choice and expression generally adhere to target language (TL) norms and means of expression specific to subject field (s) and are strong enough to allow translator to operate successively in that field. Interpretation:
- Able to interpret accurately. Normally consecutive interpretation is needed, but on rare occasions simultaneous interpretation may be requested
- Has good understanding of one or more regional dialects. Transcription:
- Reviews audio or internet materials, transcribes with high degree of accuracy and expression.
- Must possess excellent English-language written communication skills for preparing reports.
- Has good understanding of one or more regional dialects. Gisting/Summarizing:
- Is able to identify and accurately summarize factual points as well as abstract concepts.
- Can triage documentation to isolate pertinent and nuanced info.
- Master use of reference materials.
- Must possess computer skills; including MS Office, to be able to produce written translations and products and sufficient internet skills that will allow basic research on the Web.
- Must possess excellent English-language verbal communication skills for giving briefings. 2- Security Clearance Requirements: TS/SCI with polygraph is required. Linguist cannot begin work on contract without a fully adjudicated security clearance. 3- Education Requirements: BA/BS and/or equivalent formal military training or 5+ years of related work experience. 4- Language Testing Requirements: All candidates will be required to take and pass a Uzbek language test administered by SAIC/ an accepted commercial testing vendors. 5- Desired Skills:
- Experience deployed as a linguist supporting contingency operations,
- Knowledge of U.S. Intelligence Community, military, cryptologic, law enforcement experience
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in Target and English,
- Linguists who are proficient in multiple languages are strongly desired. 6- Guidelines on Residence/Travel:
- Travel OCONUS is a REQUIREMENT under this program unless otherwise specified. Candidate must be able to support the contract 24/7 when on travel.
- Position is located in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area (WMA).
SAIC is a FORTUNE 500® scientific, engineering, and technology applications company that uses its deep domain knowledge to solve problems of vital importance to the nation and the world, in national security, energy and the environment, critical infrastructure, and health. The company's approximately 41,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and selected commercial markets. Headquartered in McLean, Va., SAIC had annual revenues of $11.1 billion for its fiscal year ended January 31, 2011. For more information, visit www.saic.com. SAIC: From Science to Solutions®
Job Posting: Feb 22, 2012, 12:38:49 PM
Primary Location: United States-VA-RESTON
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Top Secret/SCI with Polygraph
Potential for Teleworking: No
Travel: Yes, 25% of the time
Shift: Day Job
SAIC - 2 years ago
SAIC, Inc. is a provider of scientific, engineering, systems integration and technical services and solutions to all branches of the United...